40Th Birthdat - Over The Hill...not Sure What To Do... Help?

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 2:33am by Thanksharla

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:28am
post #1 of 10

Long story short the Pastor of our church is turning 40 this year and his wife asked me to make a small cake for the party she is having for him. Her only requirement is that it reflect that he's turning 40 and the over the hill theme.

Here are some things about him, (from his wife): He is competitive, loves chocolate, mafia wars on facebook and reading on the beach. He also loves sports - packer football, badger basketball

What I have come up with: For competitive and sports- a wheelchair with a sign saying that no one will beat him to getting old (or something like that)

reading - putting a pair of glasses on the cake?

Packers- making a Green and Yellow sign that says - "Favre still plays I can't be that old." Us Packer fans really dislike Minnesota.

Other than that I've drawn a blank...please help!

9 replies
MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:07am
post #2 of 10

You could do a GP figure in a packer jersey/shirt (Sports), sliding down a sand doom/ sandy hill (beach) with waves at the bottom,have a figure representing his wife, sliding down hill too ( like they were racing), with GP books and itty bitty glasses on top of the books (likes to read) it would be as though they were sliding away from the books.

If you have to write on it say something like "Your age is racing" No thats not good..

AWH! just just dont write on it.

Thanksharla Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessMaker

You could do a GP figure in a packer jersey/shirt (Sports), sliding down a sand doom/ sandy hill (beach) with waves at the bottom,have a figure representing his wife, sliding down hill too ( like they were racing), with GP books and itty bitty glasses on top of the books (likes to read) it would be as though they were sliding away from the books.

If you have to write on it say something like "Your age is racing" No thats not good..

AWH! just just dont write on it.

Great idea but I know I wouldn't be able to pull off a GP figurine

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 10

Man, I hate "over the hill" themes! Especially for someone as young as 40.

I love every year that I age .... I treasure every new gray hair ..... and all of the life experiences that have made this adventure of life FUN!

My family was put on notice years ago that if they EVER planned an over-the-hill anything for me, I'd walk out and they'd be out of the will ...... well, as soon as I got enough assets to HAVE a will! icon_lol.gif

Cover it in black fondant and write "Well, you'll be dead soon!" if that's what she wants! icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 10

Have to say that I agree with Indydebi on this one. I absolutely HATE "over the hill" themes. Hate them. I will be 50 in December and my kids know better than to EVER do an "over the hill" theme for ME. icon_lol.gif Like Debi, I'd walk out and they know it. icon_lol.gif Hey, 50 is the 'year of jubilee' so they better have festive, happy colors at my party...LOL..

My grandfather will be 94 on his next birthday and HE would be offended with the over the hill thing.... icon_lol.gif

Enough of my ranting icon_lol.gif Maybe you could suggest to your pastor's wife that the "over the hill" theme really isn't very tasteful and a pretty cake would be more appropriate. I certainly would...I DON'T do the over the hill themes for the same reason I choose not to do gory cakes or naughty cakes....I think they're tacky and tasteless.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Have to say that I agree with Indydebi on this one. I absolutely HATE "over the hill" themes. Hate them. I will be 50 in December and my kids know better than to EVER do an "over the hill" theme for ME. icon_lol.gif .

Had a party for my DH's 50th birthday a couple of weekends back. Some of my side of the family thinks that "over the hill" gags are terrific fun...the invitations were VERY explicit about my expectations for the party--absolutely no "over the hill" anything. Fortunately--they complied and we had a great day to celebrate him and all that is yet to be...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 10

I think "over the hill" came into play when the Woodstock generation was spouting "never trust anyone over 30". Well the Woodstock generation is 50 and 60 now, and it's just gotten so "old" (pun intended!!!) that it stoppd being "funny" some 30+ years ago.

Except some people haven't got the memo yet. icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

I view as that tired old joke that uncle fred tells at every family get-together and he's the only one that still laughs.! icon_confused.gif

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 10

I did the cake for our pastor's 50th birthday last year. His wife didn't know which direction to go with it since the whole church was invited to the party. I made a camo sheet cake (he is an avid hunter) and made his head a separate cake that I put on top and made gumpaste grass that he was hiding in and on the cake I wrote You can't hide pastor, we know you are 50!

It was a hit and people still talk about it. Kind of poking fun at him, but showed his interests at the same time.

The idea wasn't mine, I saw the cake one time here on CC. The pic is in my photos if you care to take a peek. icon_smile.gif

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 10

I did a "road of life" style cake for a 40th b-day and the guy loved it. You just to a winding road going to the top, on the top a "speed limit 40" sign, and along the way you put milestones or things that the guy likes in the style of road signs. I put the birth of his children, street names with the name of his wife, a golf course sign, etc...'

Thanksharla Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagostino

I did a "road of life" style cake for a 40th b-day and the guy loved it. You just to a winding road going to the top, on the top a "speed limit 40" sign, and along the way you put milestones or things that the guy likes in the style of road signs. I put the birth of his children, street names with the name of his wife, a golf course sign, etc...'

I suggested a road of life cake...but it's a surprise party to "poke" fun at how old he is getting. I'm thinking about putting a sign on top saying older than dirt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%