Alternative To Ball Tool

Decorating By RanaPeach Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 11:02am by Rylan

RanaPeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RanaPeach Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:18am
post #1 of 9

I do not have a lot of tools for cake decorating, and can't really afford to purchase any more right now. Can anyone suggest something I may be able to use in place of the ball tool to do sugar flowers with?

8 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 9

my ball tool broke, and I used a plastic mixed drink stirr, got them from the liqour store, they had colored balls on the end. worked like a charm. and only 1.99 a box. icon_biggrin.gif some times you just got to get creative. thumbs_up.gif

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 9

Try the modeling clay section of Michaels, Joanns, etc. They sell smooth metal ball tools in a set for a fraction of what online stores charge, even without a coupon

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 9

I bought the drink mixers 8/$1.00. The store was clearing out of them. Now I sell them to my students for a $.25. They work great.

RanaPeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RanaPeach Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #5 of 9

Thank you both, I will look into both of these suggestions. If you have any other tools that can be made cheaper by using something else, please share.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #6 of 9

Just use your imagination. Look around the house at different objects and try to think of a way to use the item in cake decorating. Look in your kitchen, sewing box, childrens toy box, tool box, $ store, second hand or thrift shops.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #7 of 9

I used a melon baller for a while until I got some tools. I just had to watch for the small hole in the bottom icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:47am
post #8 of 9

If you need a small ball tool (to make indents for features on people), I use a sewing pin that has a small ball on the end. I pressed the pin into the end of a dowel. I have 4 different sizes.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:02am
post #9 of 9

As Sabre mentioned, If you use the 40-50% coupon at Michaels or Joann's you can get the clay tool for a good price.

Also, maybe a marble attached to a type of hollow stick (so it accepts the marble). Something like a super durable straw maybe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%