Alternative To Ball Tool

Decorating By RanaPeach Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 11:02am by Rylan

RanaPeach Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:18am
post #1 of 9

I do not have a lot of tools for cake decorating, and can't really afford to purchase any more right now. Can anyone suggest something I may be able to use in place of the ball tool to do sugar flowers with?

8 replies
tesso Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 9

my ball tool broke, and I used a plastic mixed drink stirr, got them from the liqour store, they had colored balls on the end. worked like a charm. and only 1.99 a box. icon_biggrin.gif some times you just got to get creative. thumbs_up.gif

sabre Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 9

Try the modeling clay section of Michaels, Joanns, etc. They sell smooth metal ball tools in a set for a fraction of what online stores charge, even without a coupon

dsilvest Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 9

I bought the drink mixers 8/$1.00. The store was clearing out of them. Now I sell them to my students for a $.25. They work great.

RanaPeach Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #5 of 9

Thank you both, I will look into both of these suggestions. If you have any other tools that can be made cheaper by using something else, please share.

dsilvest Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #6 of 9

Just use your imagination. Look around the house at different objects and try to think of a way to use the item in cake decorating. Look in your kitchen, sewing box, childrens toy box, tool box, $ store, second hand or thrift shops.

cakeschmake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #7 of 9

I used a melon baller for a while until I got some tools. I just had to watch for the small hole in the bottom icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:47am
post #8 of 9

If you need a small ball tool (to make indents for features on people), I use a sewing pin that has a small ball on the end. I pressed the pin into the end of a dowel. I have 4 different sizes.

Rylan Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:02am
post #9 of 9

As Sabre mentioned, If you use the 40-50% coupon at Michaels or Joann's you can get the clay tool for a good price.

Also, maybe a marble attached to a type of hollow stick (so it accepts the marble). Something like a super durable straw maybe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%