So, If The Fondant 'failed', What Would It Do?

Lounge By KayMc Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 1:04pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:35am
post #1 of 5

Ok, to continue the saga... I made my first MFF and forgot the glycerine. I went back to the completed fondant and kneaded in the glycerine. It has now matured 6 hours, and I decided to look at it to see if it was ok or not. I rolled some out, and lifted it up (pretending I would drape a cake with it). It seems just fine. If it wasn't fine, what would it do? Remember, I never made fondant before. icon_confused.gif

4 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 5

If it wasn't fine, then there could be any variety of problems when lifting it. It could easily tear, or it could easily stretch and sag. If it tears, it's likely too dry and you'll need to add glycerine, or maybe just shortening to replenish moisture. If it stretches and sags, then it could be too moist and you'll need to add cornstarch to give it more stability.

HTH!

KayMc Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:54am
post #3 of 5

That's what I was thinking: sagging, tearing, elephant skin, cracks, etc. None of that happened. I may have dodged the bullet here, and this may have worked out! Woo hoo!

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:13am
post #4 of 5

I followed the MFF rec. to the T, and mine failed.

I exp. all of the above. It was not fun.

I ended up, staying up all till 3 am making MMF, then i mix the 2 diff types of fondant together, and came out with some really good fondant ( after about 45 min if kneading), it tasted like a Krispy Kream Donut.

KayMc Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 5

A KrispyKreme donut! Now, that's fondant I could sink my teeth into! Glad it worked for you, even if it meant staying up till 3 AM!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%