Rice Krispie Treats

Decorating By fishabel Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 12:55am by 4realLaLa

fishabel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #1 of 19

Rice Krispie Treats. I've seen and heard so many people talk about these. Do you expect these to be eaten. I know they are edible. But do people eat it or is it just used to obtain a certain structure?

18 replies
silverc Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #2 of 19

I used RKTs to make the bottles and cans in my barrel cakes, and they were eaten. I didn't think anyone would want them because I had crushed the RKs to make them more solid, but the kids loved them.

Aeropanda Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #3 of 19

If there are kids around, they'll probably be eaten! Each time I've made a cake with RKT, the person who purchased the cake talked about how the figures were eaten. One of the ladies said that the kids liked them more than the cake, just because of the novelty.

leily Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #4 of 19

everyone usually fights over the rkt's at the parties i have attended with my cakes, even the adults. I have started having one whole tier rkt's or taking the extra that are left over from the design,

iluvpeeks Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #5 of 19

I made RKT stars to put on my 4th of July Cake. All I can say is I'm glad we took pictures of the cake while it was in one piece, because two of my grandchildren (both 2) each came out of the house with stars in each hand.
Need I say more?

fishabel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #6 of 19

Thanks so much for your replies. They must be tasty. Being from Australia I've never seen them being sold in such a bulk way that I've seen on TV. Do you all make them yourselves?

iluvpeeks Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:14am
post #7 of 19

Yes, the recipe is very simple, and both adults and kids love them! Also, the kids love to help making them. You can use cookie cutters to cut different shapes. If you can get Rice Krispies (cereal) here's the recipe.

3 Tbs. Margarine or Butter
1 Package (10oz, about 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
Melt margarine or butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
Mix in Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated
Spread the mixture using a buttered spatula or waxed paper evenly into a 13x9x2 inch pan coated with cooking spray.
Either cut into squares, or cut with cookie cutter when cool.
A jar (7oz.) marshmallow creme can be substituted for marshmallows.
I hope you can get Rice Krispies or something similar. They really are good!
They are a toasted rice cereal.

fishabel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:38am
post #8 of 19

Thanks heaps for the recipe. Yes we have what we call 'rice bubbles'. Same same. I'll be making this recipe as soon as I get the ingredients. I love to make things. If you look at my photots you'll get what I mean. So this will come in handy. Thanks again.

iluvpeeks Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:01am
post #9 of 19

I hope you enjoy RKT's! And your cakes are great!

fishabel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:00am
post #11 of 19

Thanks for all of that. I'll be making RKT tomorrow morning

fishabel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:07am
post #12 of 19

One more question. It said on the Site it will keep in an airtight container for 2 days. From what it is made of. It sounds like it should last longer. If I were to make something on Wednesday and Thursday. Would it be ok for a weekend party?

leily Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishabel

One more question. It said on the Site it will keep in an airtight container for 2 days. From what it is made of. It sounds like it should last longer. If I were to make something on Wednesday and Thursday. Would it be ok for a weekend party?

Yes they will keep longer than 2 days (if you can keep people from eating them anyways) I usually make up a quadruple batch at a time so they are around for more thna 1-2 days.

If you're coving them up with buttercream or fondant for decoarting a cake they will last even longer because they are sealed from the air (although i've never done them this way more than 4 days in advance.)

iluvpeeks Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:53pm
post #14 of 19

thumbs_up.gif I agree with leily

iluvpeeks Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks for the nice comments. Did you see my 4th of July cake? The stars were RKT's, covered with white chocolate, and dipped in colored sugar.

fishabel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:32pm
post #16 of 19

Yes I did fantastic. RKT are handy things arn't they! I also noticed you did aTop tier Diabetic Chocolate cake with sugarfree chocolate mousse filling. Wouldn't want to share that recipe would you? I often get asked for that sort of thing.

odish Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:27am
post #17 of 19

Hi everyone - thanks for all that info re RKTs. I was wondering if I made turrets for a Castle Cake using RKTs would I cover them in marzipan before fondant or can you cover straight away with fondant.
Thanks

iluvpeeks Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #18 of 19

I think the best thing is to use a buttercream to make the surface of the RKT smoothe, than cover with fondant. If you do a search, you will find other suggestions using RKT.

4realLaLa Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #19 of 19

I was wondering the same thing myself. On Cake Boss I saw that Buddy used RKT for the motorcycle (which he molded around the pvc pipes and covered in BC). Is the motor cycle going to be eaten. Is it suppose to? Hmm...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%