Anyone Ever Try A "cake Shake"?

Lounge By JGMB Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 3:51am by kansaslaura

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 5

I just watched an episode of Kid in a Candy Store, and it was all about cakes! It showed a mobile bakery in TX that sells cake balls on a stick, but they also sell cake shakes. They're just what they sound like -- milk, ice cream and leftover cake pieces whirled in a blender.

I may have to try it! Do you know how many bags of cake scraps I have in my freezer? icon_redface.gif

4 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 5

Let us know how it turns out. I'm thinking the texture would be mealy.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 5

My brother used to eat milk and cake in a glass.

I tried it once, didn't cake for it; but they sound similar to those blizzards from dairy Queen.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 5

For me, a crucial step is to add the cake last, and to not overblend. That way, there are chunks of cake in a regular milkshake, rather than a slurry of crumbs & shake.

An ice cream spot close to me has been making a great shake like this for generations. They call it a "Strawberry Shortcake Shake," and it has vanilla ice cream, fresh strawberries, etc. blended together. Then a hunk of white (or sponge) cake gets thrown in at the last second, so there are chunks of cake throughout the shake. Amazing, and one of the few sweets I'll select over chocolate options.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #5 of 5

I saw that show and that didn't sound appealing to me--reminded me of what they serve in nursing homes to the residents to have to have their food pureed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%