How Quickly Will Isomalt Items Melt

Sugar Work By Mommyofseven Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm by jqorso

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 4

Do isomalt items melt quickly in the humidity? I want to make some gems but need to transport them 4 hours from home. There will be stops in between so they won't be in air conditioning the whole time. Should they be packed in a cooler? I have made some sugar items before but never in this heat and humidity. Thanks

3 replies
kakabekabunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakabekabunny Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, don't know if this helps or not, but I made isomalt coral pieces & left them sitting on the counter overnight. By morning they were showing signs of "melting" & clouding. I would try to keep them out of the humidity as much as possible. I have heard of a medium that absorbs humidity (like that you find in bottles of some meds), but I can't remember what it is called, sorry (dessicant maybe???) anyone know?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 4

Sugar will cool down pretty quicklky once it's poured. I would recommend putting them in an airtight container right away. Remember not to handle them with your bare hands though, as the oils from your fingers will also cause them to cloud. And bunny is correct. It's called dessicant, and I'd suggest using that.

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 4

Here is an example of silica gel desiccant. I like the reusable ones in canisters.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#desiccants/=8131hy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%