Why Does My Icing Come Out The Sides Of The Cake?

Decorating By DeezTreatz Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm by Aeropanda

DeezTreatz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 4

I have made many cakes lately, and on a few the icing i've filled the cake with comes out and looks like its gushing out the sides.

I let it cool off for 1.5 hours, and it looked fine while I iced it and put it in the fridge, but when I took it out the next day.. it had settled or something and looked liked what I filled it with was coming out icon_sad.gif Does anyone know why?

3 replies
Aeropanda Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 4

Cake does settle. I think the rule of thumb is at least 3 hours, but over night is best to allow for this. There are several threads on CC about the "bulging" issue. Also, many people suggest using a dam of stiff buttercream before filling to help guard against this. HTH

DeezTreatz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks I did learn about the dam in class... And I also had day notice to make it.. lol
Its true, sometimes I won't ice the cake until the next day - and its fine, other times I don't use the stiff icing dam technique .. and I think it really is all about the technique!
Hey I was tired! lol icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you!

Aeropanda Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 4

Sometimes, when you're under a time crunch, and tired, you gotta do what you gotta do! Somehow, most of the time, we seem to make things work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%