Opinion On Gp Roses And Advice On Petal Dust Please

Decorating By KakesbyKris Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 2:57am by amandaluvscakes

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 18

I have my first wedding type cake order due in 2 weeks. 3 tier BC with stenciling and GP flowers for a 40th anniversary. I had only learned the Wilton way of making fondant roses and had a critique that they look like cabbages. I was never totally thrilled with them either, so I looked through the tutorials and am trying Edna's way. ( Love Her! )

I can totally tell a difference but would love any opinions to make them better. I used 50/50 GP/Fondant.

One critique I had along with the cabbage comment was to use petal dust. It is also mentioned in the tutorials. I just don't know exactly how? Do you use a darker shade? Do you just do the insides of the petals or edges? I then steam the flowers to set it, correct?

Any help would be great! thumbs_up.gif
LL

17 replies
Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 18

The roses look great, especially the red one. For me I only used 100% gumpaste. I use Nick Lodge's recipe. For the petal dust, the color depends on the color of the rose. I love putting green or yellow center and lower portion on the petals to give them a ricn and natural look. If I have a light color flower, a dark edge, applied with a flat brush, looks great. Sometimes I steam (for 1-3 seconds), but sometimes I don't. Depends on the look you want. I have several close-up picture of dusted flowers in my album, or you can see them on my web site (www.sugargardencakes.com). Good luck.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 18

The best idea is to look at real roses - google or the garden centre! There's loads of natural variation, so really u can get away with anything - green or pink dust on White, any combination of red orange yellow, even purples on a red rose.
And u can dust the whole petal, or just do top or bottom, it really depends what flower ur working from.
Then steam to set it, just be careful not too much steam or it can affect the gumpaste!
xx

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 18

I use 100% gumpaste and I make all my flowers white and then color them with petal dust and vodka when they are done. I find that the colors are more realistic.

BlueBirdBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBirdBakery Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 18

I am also a rookie at the sugar flowers. I have been reading everything I can about different techniques. I appreciate the tips too!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 18

The red rose is very good, just try & tighten the center a little more. Dusting does make a difference, I like to darken the center & lightly shade the rest. Alan Dunn's books are wonderful for showing you how to shade but look on the internet & you will find so many roses for you to get the idea. Looking forward to seeing the cake!

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 18

There is no reason the wilton method can't also incorporate some of Edna's advice. It's all about how thin you roll your gum paste to start, how much time you spend futzing with the shapes of the petals and the ruffling.

When I started doing roses I went to the discount book store and bought a big book with nothing but beautiful pictures of roses. I use petal dust in a lot of ways based on which kind of rose I'm trying to mimic. I also dust my leaves.

I have played with 5 petal cutters and individually cut petals. Again it just depends on what kind of rose I'm trying to create.

KakesbyKris Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:54am
post #8 of 18

Thank you for all the tips! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The pink rose is my Wilton way and the red is after watching tutorials.

superstar- Thanks for the tip on Alex Dunn. I will have to see what I can find at Barnes and Noble by him.

brincess_b and Fairtale- Do you dust the petals before attaching them or after you have finished the flower?

juliebold- Do you form the flower first and then color or color each petal and them form the flower?

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:24am
post #9 of 18

Will you please do me a favor and try the wilton way with your new found tips from watching tutorials. Just so you can see how much improved even that technique will be for you.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #10 of 18

Try lightening up each row of petals. Make the centre the darkest, next row knead in a bit of white to the darkest colour and last row, add more white to the second row colour. (Basically the colour will be light, medium and dark.) This will help to add depth to the rose. Once it is dusted it will look even more realistic.

KakesbyKris Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #11 of 18

EnjoyTheCake- I get the feeling you're an instructor. icon_rolleyes.gif Oh I see you are.....
The problem I seem to have with the way I learned in class is that as I add each layer(5 petal cutout) it is slightly lower than the last so my petals are at different heights.(hence the cabbage critique) I would try to pull and stretch them up only to have them tear off and then I was trying to cover that up with the sepal which didn't always work. That's why I am trying the single petal method right now.

I really do not want to be negative about my teacher, she is sweet and became a friend but the class was frustrating. Example; she didn't give us a size to make our center. "You just break off a piece." So I was starting with something that was either too big for the petals to cover or too small. It wasn't until I saw another teacher's work and asked her that she told me the tip about making it the size of the width of the petal.

I am really nervous about this cake and want the flowers to be great!
I am just trying different things until I find the one that seems to work the best for me.
I do appreciate your comments and advice and will try anything to make my flowers look wonderful.

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:10am
post #12 of 18

I completely make my flowers and then color them. When you mix the petal dust with vodka or lemon extract just mix initially. It will seperate a little when you brush it on it will give you some really cool and realistic look. Also Like the others have said use your gumpaste as thin as you can work with it.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:19am
post #13 of 18

Dry dusting is the best way to dust realistically. Dust the completed rose. You will have to take time & dust more than once. I only mix with vodka if I really want a strong effect. This is just my opinion & we all do what we find works best.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:41am
post #14 of 18

Just ,y OP, but I think they both look great. Remember no 2 roses are the same.

Keep up the good work.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:44am
post #15 of 18

If my petals are on wire, I dust them individually. My roses are not done on wire so I dust them when they are finished. I too usually work with white, then color with dry dust. For details on flowers such as orchids I paint them on. The best advise I give my students is that there is no one technique that is "right". You just need to experiment. I too always try and get a live flower to copy, and I pull them completely apart to see how their made. You'll do great. Enjoy.

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:24pm
post #16 of 18

I also use 100% gumpaste. I usually make them white and then paint with a paint brush using everclear afterward. Then once they are good and dry I will dust with dry petal dust to create soft shades. It can depend on the the way you want the rose to look.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:48pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

Will you please do me a favor and try the wilton way with your new found tips from watching tutorials. Just so you can see how much improved even that technique will be for you.

I so agree with this. I have posted this picture a couple of times which shows one of my first gp roses and one made just about a year later, both Wilton. I should retake it with an even more recent rose because they really do keep getting better, especially now that I've discovered pearl dust and steaming.
LL

amandaluvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandaluvscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #18 of 18

try this tutorial - I love it - my very first rose made following this tutorial was Gorgeous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%