Lefto Over Fondant That Is Cut Off When Covering A Cake

Decorating By TapsTreats Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm by shanienee

TapsTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TapsTreats Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 9

Hi - Ok, this has probably been asked before (sorry) but I am putting together 3 cakes this weekend and I realized I have so much extra fondant after cutting off the excess when covering the cake. When I first cover a cake I cut off all the extra stuff that is long and put it away. But when I finish cutting there is always some that has icing on it.

Do you throw away your fondant that has icing on it? Or if you can wipe the icing off do you use it again as a cut out or other decoration? Or can you save it? I have been just throwing it all away, but today I am making some fondant figures so I thought maybe I would use that as long as I can not see any icing. I thought I would as before I used it icon_cool.gif

Thanks in Advance for your Help!

Chonda

8 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 9

I just take the icing of from it and reuse it on the next cake. That way you use it all.
Edna icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 9

I do the same as Edna. thumbs_up.gif

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 9

I always use the extra fondant for figures and never had any problems.
If the figures are not needed for a while i use cmc/tylose to harden and use them for another cake and tell them they are not edible, anyway they would be too hard to eat. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 9

I also just wipe away any traces and use the left overs. I try not to waste a thing!

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 9

I use the excess fondant for making other items on the same cake. However, I would never reuse fondant for another cake. My concern is for potential spoilage from any egg or milk products from the original icing. I'm also pretty sure the health department would frown on reuse, unless it's used for a cake on the same day.

TapsTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TapsTreats Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all!

I was having the same thoughts as all of you! I hate to waste all the excess because sometimes it can be quite a bit. My Wilton instructor told us that we should not save it or use it for anything else, but the thought of all those dollars that I have been throwing in the trash just bothered me.

I agree with the point from Fairytale about spoilage and that was what I am concerned about so I will wipe it, use it same day or for inedible figurines.

Thanks a bunch!

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 9

It's not really a waste if you include the excess in the cost quote you give to the client.

If you are making free cakes or practice cakes, then I try to salvage what I can to re use on the same project or the next project. If I'm fortunate enough to make a cake for money, I make sure I have included all "waste" in the cost quote. If that client is paying for it, I try to use it on their cake but it's not right to charge 2 people or the same fondant. I hope that makes sense. I'm not sure who to really explain it so it doesn't sound silly.

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 9

I use my extra fondant for cutouts and shaping. If I don't have plans to do another cake for a week or so, I give it to the kids and let them use it as playdough. It's edible and free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%