Business Somewhat Tricky

Business By mrsdizney Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm by tiggy2

mrsdizney Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 16

I would like to try to start baking out of my home once I am able to do so legally. I would like to make some buisness cards and things. My issue is I have no name picked out. I would like to incorporate my like last name. My new last name is Disney. I know I know. Is there any way I can use my name legally in the name. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Julie

15 replies
leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 16

I doubt it.

We had a lingerie shop in a town near here that was owned by a man name Victor. He called the shop Victor's Secret. Victoria's Secret sued him for infringement and they won.

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 16

Unfortunately in this case it almost doesn't matter if the law allows you to legally use your last name as part of the business, if you don't have unlimited funds to use in a court battle against Disney, it's a no win situation for you. icon_sad.gif

sherrycanary62 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:02am
post #4 of 16

I think you could use it in some way...as long as it doesn't tie into Disney INC. Use your whole name

Julie Disney Custom Couture Cakes
or
Julie Disney One of a Kind Cakes

but not something like

Julie Disney's Land of Cakes...that wouldn't work..to0 close...like Victors Secret

and make doubly sure you stay 100% away from Disney Cakes OF ANY KIND even if the customer buys the Disney Decos and maybe even put a funny little disclaimer on your site like:

"No I'm not THAT Disney"

.but the best thing would to actually call Disney and see what they have to say it couldn't hurt!!!

LindaF144a Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:39am
post #5 of 16

Honestly, if you are really serious about this, the best person to ask this question would be to a lawyer, not a cake board. Cause I don't think our opinions would hold up in any kind of legal manner anywhere.

EllieA Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #6 of 16

Or you could write a letter to the Disney organization telling them that you are putting them on notice that you will be using your name in your cake business. Hopefully, they won't answer you and there won't be a need for legal action when they write a letter telling you to Cease and Desist!

The suggestion of using your first and last names sounded like the best option!

mrsdizney Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:45am
post #7 of 16

Thanks for all the responses. If I didnt come up with a name I loved excluding the Disney, I plan to contact a lawyer.

Thanks again!

mrsdizney Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:46am
post #8 of 16

Thanks for all the responses. If I didnt come up with a name I loved excluding the Disney, I plan to contact a lawyer.

Thanks again!

mrsdizney Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:48am
post #9 of 16

Thanks again!

minicuppie Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 16

I think you need some lawyers advice. A GOOD attorney should be able to help you with your sticky (lolol) situation.

LindaF144a Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

I think you need some lawyers advice. A GOOD attorney should be able to help you with your sticky (lolol) situation.

This was mentioned before your post and the OP said she was going to get a lawyer. It would be helpful to read before you post.

minicuppie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:23am
post #12 of 16

Don't even start. I saw 3 of her posts and thought she had a stutter. Not your topic. If OP feels the need to school me, I will apologize, to HER.

cakegrandma Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:19pm
post #13 of 16

Geesh, why can't we read a post without someone coming in and being nasty or correcting another person because they re-iterated something that already been said? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif It is too early for this nonsense, are we adults or little first graders? Give it a break already, just because you noticed that someone has said what had previously been stated there is no reason NOT to let it go.
Thanks and everyone think before you engage your mouth. Let's all play nice! icon_wink.gif
evelyn

deMuralist Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #14 of 16

ditto, thanks evelyn!

minicuppie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks, Evelyn the cakegma! OOPS. That has already been posted. My Bad! lolol!

tiggy2 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

This was mentioned before your post and the OP said she was going to get a lawyer. It would be helpful to read before you post.

And how did someone posting it again affect you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%