Wedding Cake In The Heat

Decorating By donnlara Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm by donnlara

donnlara Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 4

I have my first wedding cake due tomorrow, it's almost ready to go. The wedding is outdoors in the afternoon, and tomorrow it is projected to get to 102 here. They want it delivered at 12:30, it won't be cut until at least 2:30 at the earliest - so the heat is going to be a huge issue. It's a two-tier fondant covered cake with fondant and chocolate decorations.

My question: should I put it in the freezer for just a bit before I deliver it - will that help it survive the two hours in the blazing heat better, or just make matters worse? I have warned the clients several times about the heat and that it will be an issue, they are aware, so if it does melt, I'm not going to blame myself!

3 replies
bakingpw Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know much about fondant, but I have a suggestion. On several occasions, I have called and informed the venue that due to the extreme heat, I will be bringing the cake from my air-conditioned shop closer to the time it is needed rather than take a chance on it melting.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 4

[quote="donnlara"]I have my first wedding cake due tomorrow, it's almost ready to go. The wedding is outdoors in the afternoon, and tomorrow it is projected to get to 102 here. They want it delivered at 12:30, it won't be cut until at least 2:30 at the earliest - so the heat is going to be a huge issue. It's a two-tier fondant covered cake with fondant and chocolate decorations.

My question: should I put it in the freezer for just a bit before I deliver it - will that help it survive the two hours in the blazing heat better, or just make matters worse? I have warned the clients several times about the heat and that it will be an issue, they are aware, so if it does melt, I'm not going to blame myself![/quote

I delivered a three tiered birthday cake to an outdoor party three weeks ago the temperature was over 100 and the humidity was near 100%...the heat index was something like 115. Anyway the cake sat outdoors for 2 hours before cutting and it held up fine. If I had refrigerated or frozen that cake it would have melted in the first few minutes.

I would strongly urge you to NEVER introduce that cake to a refrigerator or a freezer before delivering.

I know that you said if it melts you're not going to blame yourself..but by putting it in the freezer or fridge you will contribute to the cake "melting" when introduced to the elements of the outdoors....trust me..been there/done that.....keep the cake at room temperature and it will be fine.
thumbs_up.gif

donnlara Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the advice mamawrobin - that makes me feel much better hearing your experience!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%