Purse Cake With Angel Food Cake

Decorating By mdillow Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm by mamawrobin

mdillow Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 6

I tried to make a purse cake out of angel food cake and it didnt work very well.. i think i cut it to much to make more layers... is there a way to make angel food in a sheet pan like a regular cake to make it easier to cut.. and how do you get it to stabilize? i tried sticks but it didnt work.. maybe the plastic poles?

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 6

Angel food cake is way to soft to make anything from it other than angel food cake.It is just not sturdy enough....I have yet to see any deocrater complete anything stacked ,tiered with Angel Food....

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

You cannot use Angel Food cake for any type of carved cake. It's entirely too soft.

You can stack angel food cake but you can also stack jello icon_lol.gif It's the support system that supports cake when stacking..not the cake. BUT for a carved or sculpted cake you have to use a sturdier cake like pound cake.
Angel food cake will not work no matter what kind of pan you cook it in.

mdillow Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 6

what type of cake mix can i use to make a purse cake?

shanienee Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 6

I would suggest the WASC recipe on here by kakeladi. It carves nicely and tastes great. You can use any cake flavor or add something other than vanilla extract. If you look it up, it will give you all types of suggestions. Good luck.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 6
Originally Posted by mdillow

what type of cake mix can i use to make a purse cake?

You can use most any kind...butter cake isn't a good idea nor is angel food.
If you want white cake...I would suggest buying either Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker white cake mix and you can make it following the directions on the back and add one 4 ounce box of instant vanilla pudding and one extra egg. This will make your cake a little denser and better for carving.
There is a Durable 3 D/Wedding Cake recipe here on cc in the most saved recipes that is a good recipe for a carved or sculpted cake. It's the one that I use for a carved cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%