I Need Help Now Or It Will Be A Disaster! Help Me!

Decorating By Ritakk Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm by matthewkyrankelly

Ritakk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritakk Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 9

First time freezing sheet cake, brought straight out from freezer and put crumb coat on like suggested, but now the crumb coat wont dry, it has condensation all over it! So it's not crusting, what in the world do I need to do now? I have to deliver these sheet cakes to a wedding in less that 3 hours. Someone please respond.... I don't know what to do! This is my first wedding cakes, and these are the kitchen cakes...chocolate! Someone to my rescue please! icon_cry.gif

Thanks,
Rita

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 9

does it desperately need to crust? when you apply the final layer, can you smooth it with a hot knife? although if they are kitchen cakes, id think you could get away with them not being 100% smooth if its not going well.
put a fan near it, might help dry it off in the mean time.
xx

sabriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabriana Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 9

so sorry to hear about your trouble. If you have a fan (or more).... turn them onto the cakes - and get them to dry.

Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 9

Why did you wait sooooo l,ong to take them out of the fzr??
They should have been taken out last night or at least very early this a.m.
They should come to temp and the crumb coat dry within an hour or so.
But you don't have an extra hour?
So go ahead and ice them - carefully. But in the future never ice a frozen cake!

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 9

Hi Rita, welll I dont know if it is a fix but maybe if you give it a few min to warm up... or fan take it outside if you are where it is hot... or maybe fan it? I don't know yikes... I am sure it will be ok, just step back have a cup of coffee and breathe.... !

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 9

This is why I always say NEVER crumbcoat or ice a frozen or partially frozen cake. I did this once and it took just short of forever to dry icon_lol.gif

Maybe if you use a fan like someone suggested that will help. Good luck to you. I hope your cake turns out ok.

EDITED: Who "suggested" that you crumbcoat a frozen cake? icon_confused.gif

Ritakk Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 9

My Goodness, I should have done this way earlier, yesterday I spent all day making and icing the 4 layer wedding cake. I had the chocolate cakes frozen from Wednesday night. I new I was going to be pressed with time, so I froze them.. My understanding was you could decorate them right out of the freezer... well, I went ahead and put a 2nd layer on one... I guess I'll just wing it. I'll go ahead and ice the other one....My dear husband told me the fan was what was creating the moisture...!!! Duh! What does he know anyway! LOL! I'm going to turn that fan on high now! Thanks everyone, I will be posting pics probably monday, since I only have dial up. I guess this is a big lesson learned... Thanks again everyone.

Ritakk Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 9

I just wanted to get back on here and Thank you all once again for helping me out with your suggestions... The cakes did come together, not totally satisfied, but the customer was, so I guess that's what really counts. I have learned a few good lessons that I will never forget! Thanks again I will try to add the pictures of the wedding cake and the kitchen cakes....
Rita
LL
LL

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 9

Sorry that you ran into this problem. In the future, taking the cake out aerlier and keeping it wrapped would have saved you.

Just so no one gets scared of freezing:

This is a timing thing. Yes you can crumbcoat and frost a frozen cake. I do it every time. The difference is to keep it frozen. Then wrapped. If this was a cake that was wrapped, the condensation would be on the wrap, not on the cake.

Freezing is a tool which can be a disaster in high humidity(unwrapped) and when you are in a rush and don't plan(but what isn't?).

That cake would have been fine if it thawed wrapped or in the fridge. A couple of hours is all that was needed.

The cakes looked beautiful and I'm glad it worked out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%