Idea For High School Reunion Using Marbles

Decorating By Mommyofseven Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm by brincess_b

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 6

Our high school class will be holding our 20th Reunion this year and we are going with the theme Simply Marbleous. During our graduation ceremony nearly every one of the 300 plus students had a marble in our hand as we shook hands with the Vice principle. It was so much fun to watch him try to figure out what to do with all of them. LOL Any way they asked me to do the cake. And ideas short of a sheet cake with fondant marbles all over it? I consider a giant marble out of the ball pan but I am not sure how to get it to look like a real marble. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks,mommyofseven

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 6

could be fun to play with sugar and see what happens!

do you have the game marble run? could be awesome to have a tiered cake, and them a pastillage/ gumpaste marble run game running down it!
xx

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 6

à la a croquembouche?? http://www.toptiercakes.com/images/photoalbum/7/TT074.jpg

imagine that looks like a whole pile of marbles and the poor principal's head is sticking out of the top

could be a real croquembouche or could be cakes carved to get a basic cone shape and then cakeballs added to get the final look

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 6

I was just going to suggest a tiered cake in one of the school colors; fondant marbled marble balls in the school colors airbrushed with vodka or confectioners glaze to give it a shine, maybe someione knows about something to make it look like glass.

Here's something that might give you some inspiration.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1719628.html

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys. Great suggestions. I was wondering about making the marbles from sugar. Would a round icecube tray work or does anyone know of a mold that would work? Otherwise I was thinking of doing a cake with fondant marbles and the school mascot on it.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 6

ive never done sugar work, yet, but im thinking it might be too hot for a regular mould like the ice cube tray? maybe have a browse of the sugar forum and see if theres any info there you can use?
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%