Question About Fondant Draping From One Tier To The Next....

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 5:47am by Marianna46

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 12

I have just finished my first dummy cake for my portfolio, got pictures taken and realized I do not like my draping. I need to redo it.

I have the fondant draping down from one tier to the next but when I did the draping, it all bunched up and was skinny without much "flow" to it. What did I do wrong and how do I fix this?
*I used straight fondant and rolled it very thin.

I have the picture of my cake posted below so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. And suggestions would be appreciated as I have only done one other fondant cake so I have not much experience icon_rolleyes.gif
LL

11 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 12

Looks like you needed to have wider or bigger pieces of fondant to make it look flowy (sp) but I am sure some real experts will weigh in on this for you.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 12

you simply need to roll wider pieces icon_smile.gif i also dont like to roll it Too thin, but not as thick as i would to cover the cake . . But a little thickness helps to bulk it out icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 12

Try adding a second layer right beside the first drape - it will make it twice the width.

grossoutqueen Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 12

Makes total sense thumbs_up.gif

I will give it a try and see how it works. Thanks so much guys!

grossoutqueen Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 12

Should I add any gumpaste to the fondant to help it hold up a bit better?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 12

I wouldn't add any gumpaste to the fondant - it might make it too stiff to drape naturally, and you really don't need it. Most wide drapes are made in more than one piece, so everyone's advice to put in another drape beside the first one is right on the money.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 12

I think you did a beautiful job! I would like to try the draping, and yours looks great. It's also a great idea to add multiple pieces to add width.

grossoutqueen Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeropanda

I think you did a beautiful job! I would like to try the draping, and yours looks great. It's also a great idea to add multiple pieces to add width.

Thank you so much! Im always overly critical of what I do so I just see flaws. You have made me feel better. icon_smile.gif

I did a few things to fix it and this is the final product. I think it looks better and I'm happy with it. I wish my draping was neater but it was good to get to practice.
LL
LL

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #10 of 12

Cake looks great. I am glad adding the extra draping worked.

grossoutqueen Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:49am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Cake looks great. I am glad adding the extra draping worked.

Yes. Thank you so much for the advice. You saved my cake! thumbs_up.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:47am
post #12 of 12

I have to say I liked your original cake, but with the added width in the drapes, it's really gorgeous! Glad it worked for you! Now all I need to do is put my money where my mouth is and try to make some that pretty myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%