Should I Or Shouldn't I

Business By katie9802 Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 7:41pm by carmijok

katie9802 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie9802 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 18

I am trying to decide if I should begin selling cupcakes as a business and need a little help from everyone here. Let me give a little background. . .my family owns a commerical bakery where we sell bagels. We have a store front where we sell the bagels, sandwiches, etc. I have been decorating cakes as a hobby and my dad has asked me to sell them through the store. I am not 100% positive I want to take the cake route, but would really like to pursue cupcakes. Do you think it is something worth looking into since I already have a licensed bakery at my finger tips. There is another lady in town that sells gourmet cupcakes but she does not have a store front. She rents space from a church to make her cupcakes. Is it stepping on her toes? HELP!

17 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 18

Do you realise many people here would love to have your opportunity??

What is my vote, DO IT!

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 18

Why not? What could you lose? Do you think Walmart asked Kmart if they were stepping on their toes? Unless it was literally next door I wouldn't give the other lady a second thought. I see go for it too!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 18

I would bet that given this opportunity, every CC'er on here would be BEGGING your dad to adopt them.

God has sent you 2 boats and a helicopter .... DON'T DROWN WAITING TO BE SAVED FROM THE FLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I would bet that given this opportunity, every CC'er on here would be BEGGING your dad to adopt them.

God has sent you 2 boats and a helicopter .... DON'T DROWN WAITING TO BE SAVED FROM THE FLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this and have to say that I agree. Of course you should.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 18

thumbs_up.gif DO IT!!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yums

Why not? What could you lose? Do you think Walmart asked Kmart if they were stepping on their toes? Unless it was literally next door I wouldn't give the other lady a second thought. I see go for it too!

Does McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Hardees, Sonic, Jack-in-the-Box, Steak-n-Shake, et. al give a flying hoot if they step on each others toes?

NO!

Or Ford, GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Kia, et. al.??

What you're kidding me right??

Or Whirlpool, LG, GE, Frigidaire, etc.??

oh PUH-LEEZE

----

::cues America the Beautiful to play in the background::

It's called: FREE ENTERPRISE!

It's called: Entrepreneurial Attitude!

It's called: Competition (the adult version of nah nay my ... is better than yours!

It's called: It's small Business keeps America running

::swell chorus::

IT"S CALLED -----

the AMERICAN WAY!!!!

(fires off confetti cannons -red/white/blue of course!
releases r/w/b balloons
bunting drops! Flags wave!
the Blue Angels streak overhead!
crashing crescendo from the orchestra and massed choir!)

----

now get out there and be a good patriot and do your part to make America strong, rescue the economy and fulfill the American dream...

SELL THOSE CUPCAKES!!!!

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 18

Doug, with you for a rooting section, how can anyone fail?

I would love to be given the opportunity you have available to you. GO FOR IT!

And oh yes, I am available for adoption as Indydebi mentioned! icon_lol.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 18

Lord yes!! Do it and do it well icon_smile.gif

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 18

First... Doug, you crack me up every time I read a post of yours...

And second, like mentioned, I would totally KILL for that opportunity. It's understandable that not everyone is "into" caking but give it a shot. And if it doesn't work out and you are located anywhere near me let me know and I will be happy to thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 18

Well, let me just add my two cents worth: GO FOR IT, GIRL!!! Or tell me where you live and I'll move there and do it for you!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 18

not to quote Nike, but "JUST DO IT" thumbs_up.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #13 of 18

Oh my yes! Do it! I follow the blog, Cupcakes take the cake. I signed up for the daily feed just to keep up with whats going on in the cupcake world. I doubt cupcakes will ever go out of style, if anything, they seem to be getting more and more popular. Look at all the mobile cupcake trucks that have sprung up all over as a for instance.

My goodness, you have a bakery at your disposal, no setting up, no hassles with HD or permits etc. I say take advantage of that, use it, bake, create, what have you got to lose?

If you want to check out Cupcakes take the cake blog, click on the link. Lots of idea's and many times links to great cupcake recipes.

http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/

katie9802 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie9802 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:13pm
post #14 of 18

Well, who else will tell it like it is other than my fellow CC'ers icon_smile.gif I guess I really did need a big kick in the behind from someone else other than my dad and husband to get over my cupcake fears. I appreciate all the feedback! After reading all of it, I am getting kind of excited! Ok, now where to start LOL

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 18

U r truly blessed!!!If u r afraid, just do some expertmenting. U can c what works for u. Then u will c that everything will fall into place. That is so awesome!!!U got us all rooting for u!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:19pm
post #16 of 18

I'm sorry but let me get this straight. You have an opportunity to make cupcakes in an established bakery with an established clientel who will be a captive audience every week to what you create. No start up costs, licences to worry about, equipment to buy, rent and overhead to headache over, and if it doesn't work out you just stop making cupcakes because the shop doesn't solely depend on you to survive so you wouldn't have to close a shop?

And you are asking us what you should do?

Have you been checked for a mental illness? jk icon_razz.gif

Your next post had better be about how much fun you are having at the shop!!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #17 of 18

Existing foot traffic and clients, and equipment and space... <sigh>.... a dream. You REALLY have NOTHING to lose...!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Heck, you can play cakes, cookies, cakes- whatever your style, talent, and attitude bring! A big GO FOR IT from me. Good Luck!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:41pm
post #18 of 18

Exactly why WOULDN'T you do it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%