Any Idea What Size This Cake Might Be?

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm by Kitagrl

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 8

Got my first wedding cake order. Yes, I'm going to have lots of questions. Question #1) what sizes do you think these tiers are?
LL

7 replies
naunie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naunie2 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 8

looks like 6, 8, 10 . Did they not tell what sizes they wanted?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 8

They might be 12/9/6 - it looks to me like there is more than a 2" difference between each tier. But what really matters is how many servings you need. That will determine what sizes your cakes need to be.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 8

yep that is what I would say too. You need to ask them how many they need to serve and what sizes they would like though.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 8

Well I know that they need 75 servings which would be a 6, 8, 10 but she showed me a picture of this cake and to me it looked to be more than a 2 inch difference in layers, that is why I was asking.

She also wants the detail to be in black. Question #2) should I do the detailed black in royal icing or buttercream? Question #3) will it bleed into the white if I do it too soon?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 8

A picture of a cake is to give the baker an idea of the design. A realistic bride does NOT expect her cake to be exactly the same dimensions. (If she does, she's a twit and it's the baker's job to educate her.)

But the difference of 1" on the tiers of the cake is not even distinguishable.

It doesnt' matter what size the cake in the picture is. You need to make the number of cake servings she needs .... not the number of servings someone ELSE made and photographed.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 8

What are you icing with buttercream or fondant?

If it's fondant, pipe with royal icing.

If it's buttercream pipe with buttercream. Piping royal icing onto buttercream will 100% bleed as the moisture in the buttercream affects the royal icing.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Well I know that they need 75 servings which would be a 6, 8, 10 but she showed me a picture of this cake and to me it looked to be more than a 2 inch difference in layers, that is why I was asking.

She also wants the detail to be in black. Question #2) should I do the detailed black in royal icing or buttercream? Question #3) will it bleed into the white if I do it too soon?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Looks to be around 12/9/6 which is also 75 servings according to Earlene's chart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%