Buttercream And I Don't Get Along

Decorating By sarahp7467 Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm by TexasSugar

sarahp7467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahp7467 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:21am
post #1 of 8

So this is definitely not my first disaster and I know it wont be my last... That being said, my butter cream and I have are having a bit of an argument. I sifted the ps and to my dismay there are HUGE chunks all over in the frosting ??? (time to get a new sifter), I think I mixed it too long because it has a TON of air bubbles and is melting. I have decided that I love cakes and I love decorating but I HATE FROSTING. I crumb coated the cake and put it in the fridge. I will make a new batch of my beloved bc in the morning and finish this darn cake.

BTW, I just had to rant and I knew all of you would understand my delima. Lord knows my DH doesn't icon_smile.gif

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:35am
post #2 of 8

If you're getting "lumps" in your icing AFTER sifting icon_confused.gif something is wrong.
If you "hate frosting" then maybe you need to try a different recipe? I love my buttercream. thumbs_up.gif I never have any issues with air bubbles and I beat mine from start to finish for at least 40-45 minutes. I also NEVER put my icing in the refrigerator...on or off the cake.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 8

I use to hate it too..before discovering IndyDebi's recipe...now I love it...so easy to work with and SO smooth! Before that tho buttercream and I had a hate/hate relationship.

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 8

I made indydebi's buttercream last night and must 've done something wrong...lots of bubbles, and it had a metallic, bitter aftertaste...I was really excited to make it because of all the wonderful things people have said, so it must be a mistake on my part...any ideas?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I use to hate it too..before discovering IndyDebi's recipe...now I love it...so easy to work with and SO smooth! Before that tho buttercream and I had a hate/hate relationship.

I said that I loved mine but failed to mention that I use Indydebi's recipe. Cat's right...Indydebi's is awesome. thumbs_up.gif

sarahp7467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahp7467 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 8

I remade my BC, and had no more PS lumps (I have no clue what happened with the other one). I did still have lots of air bubbles. I am going to take your advice and try Indydebi's recipe. I cant run a cake business if I hate frosting LOL icon_smile.gif

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 8

Lol, I actually turn down BC cakes....

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 8

As far as airbubbles go, research Sharon's (SugarShack's) buttercream recipe. The idea behind hers is if you fill the bowl full and have the icing covering the top of the paddle it will eliminate the airbubbles. I'm sure the day idea could be done with any buttercream, you just have to find the secret amount to fill our bowl up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%