High Ratio Shortening For Buttercream Icing

Decorating By mrsclaus1 Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm by KayMc

mrsclaus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsclaus1 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:38am
post #1 of 8

I have not noticed anyone yet that uses a high ratio shortening. I love it.
Is there a reason you don't use it , Maybe something I should know about it.
Thanks,

Mrsclaus1

7 replies
cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:50am
post #2 of 8

I swear by the stuff...my frosting graduated from kindergarten to high school in one try!!! I don't use anything else now...even though it's sky high price wise as I have to order it online.

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:37am
post #3 of 8

Okay, I'm going to ask, "what does hi ratio shortening do?" Does it give a better flavor, or does it make your frosting creamier? I've seen it, but I didn't know what it really did.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:44am
post #4 of 8

High ratio is specifically designed for icings. It doesn't leave a heavy and greasy feeling in your mouth the way Crisco sometimes does. Sharon (Sugarshack) uses high ratio in her icing recipe. You can go to youtube and look up sugarshack to see how she makes her icing.

I noticed a huge difference in my icing when I started using high ratio. I use Sweetex which you can order on the internet or purchase at some cake supply stores. I found that my local food supply warehouse sells a 50 pound block for $67. I don't make enough cakes right now to justify spending that much, but since I'm out of high ratio I might splurge.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:43am
post #5 of 8

There was a thread on this yesterday. I use Indydebi's recipe and I prefer Crisco for her recipe. Indydebi posted yesterday that she has used Crisco in her recipe for over 30 years with great results and "if it ain't broke..don't go tryin' to fix it". I have to agree with her on this. Nothing wrong with hi ratio if that's what ya want to use but for me and the recipe that I use...Crisco works just fine. thumbs_up.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:29am
post #6 of 8

I use it and will not go back to regular shortening. I have not tried this myself since I have a cake shop nearby to get my supplies, but GFS (Gordon Food Services) can get the bigger buckets of this for you. You just have to give them a couple weeks notice.

mrsclaus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsclaus1 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 8

I worked in a bakery when I first started out and found out about PS99. I buy it from the only place in kansas city that will sell to the public and professional bakery with storefront location. It runs about $100.00 for 50 lbs and I find that it is the best thing ever. Thats why I asked about it . I didn't notice it anywhere on this site and thought it was changed some how. I have been out of the business a while and coming back to it for my retirement. I want to do what I love. I also am wondering about fondant . It seems to be the way to go these days for decorating. I am strictly a buttercreme girl for icing.

Mrsclaus1

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 8

I use it exclusively for my frosting. I'm afraid to try a recipe without it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%