I Am So Ticked Off At My Mmf Right Now..people Could Die!!

Decorating By tesso Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm by EllieA

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:44am
post #1 of 9

Made my MMF last week for covering the cakes today. They were fine. Went to mix them to make my tye-dye effect and the crap would not stay together. they kept seperating !!! Then when they finally meshed, everything turned BROWN!! icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

I was able to save a few colors and they meshed into a pretty orange, so i covered one cake with it, Had to toss all the brown MMF and start over at 1 a.m. making more. It is all made AGAIN.

I decided to do one layer orange, one pink, and one yellow. This cake is for my niece and I really wanted it tye-dyed. icon_evil.gif

Any suggestions as to why this happened? icon_cry.gif poor hubby, MIL, and dog ran from the room, when I started thowing things. Caking should not be this stressful! icon_mad.gif

8 replies
MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:38am
post #2 of 9

I read a thread on here a little while back on doing the tye-dye effect. i think it whent something like this. Cut strips of colors, pinch them together and then roll you pin over it again...

Im currently making 3 batches of MMF b/c i couldn't get my MFF to roll out... I learned that if i mix them together its taste great and has excellent workability, and pliability.

I hope you get it.. Post a pic so i can see what you end up doing..

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:43am
post #3 of 9

I rolled, I pinched, I braided, I almost went so far as to sacrafice the dog to the cake gods. It would all go together look great, then when tried to roll on rolling pin to transfer, the colors would all separate from each other. again..and again..

I'll post pic tomorrow. I am just so mad, I have NEVER had MMF act this badly, except for one other time, and i had to remake it then too. icon_mad.gif

lilerintron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilerintron Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:41am
post #4 of 9

It sounds like it was getting dry, and that's why the colors were sticking together.

If it were me, I'd take the fondant, add a little water and pop in the microwave for 30 seconds to bring it back to "life". Then tried lining up some colors together and rolling out.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 9

I feel for you. icon_wink.gif Unfortunately I've been frustrated every time that I've made MMF. I've probably made it 10 times and I have yet to produce a fondant that I could cover a cake with. icon_lol.gif MFF on the other hand has been a success from day one, even before my stand mixer and I had to do it all by hand.

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 9

I'm just going to give you a long distance hug...

I was going through the same thing last week just trying to get my fondant to do anything! You will get it!

KristyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyM Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 9

Did you knead the colors together a little bit or just lay them side by side and then rolled them together? I made a camo cake using mmf that I took pieces of each color and laid them out side by side and then rolled them together. I was able to cover the cake this way but they did not stay together well and took a lot of patience and "fixing" to make it work. Then I tried taking the four colors and kneading them together slightly to use for the hunter figure I made for the top of the cake. This worked much better and would actually look best on a tye dye cake. The key is to only knead them until they are just blended and then roll out. If you have to re-knead and re-roll then the colors will blend together to make a shade you probably do not want. I use mmf for everything and have never had any great problems with it. HTH

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 9

I did a camo cake and had the same problem. I think I'll try Kristy's suggestion next time.

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 9

Maybe the problem is in that you thought that tie dye process would work exactly as with fabric? Think of doing a MMF tie dye as how you do a bow. It's not a long piece of fabric that you fold and voila - a bow! You have to put 2 colors next to each other, microwave them for 1 minute, press the borders together and roll them only a little bit. If the MMF is too dry, add a little bit of marshmellow, which has been processed with water in the microwave for 2 minutes - that should make it pliable again.

Don't dispair and don't give up. Once you get the hang of it, MMF is the most delicious, efficient, cheapest fondant there is. Go have an ice cream and then try again!

A virtual ooooooooh! going your way! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%