Bubble Tea Straw Anxiety...

Decorating By cakebaby59 Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 9:29am by auntiecake

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:04am
post #1 of 21

I am doing a four tier stacked wedding for next weekend. The sizes are 6', 8', 10' and 12'. How many straws do I use for each one? And these things will hold this cake up...right??? I told u...anxious...LOL thanks...Linda

20 replies
cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:19am
post #2 of 21

I have never used straws, but for a cake that large I would use dowel rods (either the wooden or plastic) instead...........rather be safe than sorry!

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:22am
post #3 of 21

I second the dowel or pillar idea - especially for an important event like a wedding.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:48am
post #4 of 21

I would be nervous too, I used straws once. Dowels a few times, I find they can displace, lean. So now I use SPS. I feel quite secure in that. I did a 3 tier cake, drove it 75 mi. in the heat, on a truck seat (bench). It didn't budge. Oh and the free way was like a wash board over half the way. As for dowels, there is a tuitorial, done by Tonedna (sp?)., on you tube. Maybe someone else can help you.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:51am
post #5 of 21

SPS!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:25am
post #6 of 21

SPS is your safest bet. But if you don't have that, bubble straws are safer and sturdier than wooden dowels because you don't displace cake, they have a wider base to keep them upright. Any architect will tell you that the structure of a bubble tea straw will actually support more weight than a dowel can.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:27am
post #7 of 21

I only use the straws, up to 5 layers!, ALL the cakes in my gallery were transported successfully using straws.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:14am
post #8 of 21

I've used bubble tea straws for up to five layers and never had a issue.
icon_smile.gif Good Luck! I'm sure it will be fine.
Jodi

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:22am
post #9 of 21

personally I would use the large plastic supports (Wilton) for the bottom 2 tiers, then you would be okay for the tea straws on the top 2.

I like to use the heavy duty stuff on the tiers supporting all the weight.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:45am
post #10 of 21

Of course, I'd use SPS. But then I use SPS on every tiered cake. Always.

Try it - you'll be a convert!

thesugarangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesugarangel Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 21

sorry for interupting this post but I've just started reading these forums. What is SPS? Or what does it stand for so I can google it? Thanks!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:26pm
post #12 of 21

Single Plate System. Leah_s wrote a great tutorial on it:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

thesugarangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesugarangel Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 21

thanks so much!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 21

I've never done a wedding cake yet, but if I was going to make one, I know I would absolutely use the SPS. I would NOT take any chances on a cake that important.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:35am
post #15 of 21

If you don't have time to do the sps system by next weekend I think Thumbs advice to use the Wilton fat plastic dowels for just the bottom tier is a really good idea. The bubble tea straws are strong and should hold but to be absolutely safe the Wilton fat dowels on the bottom will really give you piece of mind. If you're really nervous then maybe putting dowels or lollipop sticks in the bubble tea straws is another safety measure too - good luck on the wedding cakeicon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:44am
post #16 of 21

If you order SPS from Global Sugar Art, they always deliver very quickly. You should have them by next weekend.

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:30am
post #17 of 21

I just watched my SugarShack DVD on Successful Stacking and she demonstrated using bubble straws...she stacked a 4 tier with them and I feel much better about using them...so I'm going to give it a shot using the Wilton plastic dowels on the bottom and the tea straws on the smaller ones. If I have problems with it I will go with SPS as I have not heard one bad thing about that either...LOL Thanks for all the great advise...I do appreciate it!!! Linda

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:48am
post #18 of 21

I agree that bubble straws are better than dowels. They are easier to get even than either the dowels or Wilton fat dowels unless you have a saw or something to cut them other than a serrated knife. I love the SPS too, but bubble straws especially in the top two tiers are ok. You put them 2" apart and I also put some in the center also if I use them. The dowels definitely shift easily and never will I use them again. Good Luck on the wedding cake.

auntiecake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:50am
post #19 of 21

If you watched Sugar Shack dvd you will be fine using the straws. Again good luck!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:11am
post #20 of 21

I myself only trust the stress free support system. I have used it several times and it's wonderful. I never have to worry when I use this system. And if the inventor can stand on it then I think it can support any cake.
http://www.stressfreecakes.com/public/about-us

auntiecake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:29am
post #21 of 21

I agree the stress free support system is awesome and easy to use. Definitely the best system ever. I have purchased two sets. One is diminished due to no return. The hall threw them away, was the story I got. Due to circumstances not involving the cake itself I didn't push the issue. Nothing to do with anything I did, but things happen. I would love to get another one too. The gauge I got with them is great for measuring the bubble straws too. I never used them till I saw Sugar Shacks dvd. Great DVD!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%