Top Layer Slid Right Off

Decorating By ponderiffic Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 12:43pm by indydebi

ponderiffic Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:56am
post #1 of 5

I had my first official disaster today. I would love some feedback on what I did wrong so I can know for next time. The top layer would not stay and place and literally slide all over the place. Thank goodness it was in a cake carrier or my car would be full of icing!

I made 2 layers of WASC and used the push down method to make them level. I placed the first layer, uncut, on the cake board and proceeded to dam and fill it. Then I placed the second layer on top. I let it rest for a couple of minutes, but when I started crumb coating with the buttercream it was a sliding mess.

Where do you think I went wrong??

4 replies
Toptier Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:59am
post #2 of 5

What kind of buttercream were you using?

ponderiffic Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:04am
post #3 of 5

I used IndyDebi's buttercream. I filled it with vanilla bean cream cheese.

mbark Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:13am
post #4 of 5

I could see a sliding issue with strawberry or raspberry filling but not sure why it would do it with a cream chese icing...

indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 5

My first and only slider was a couple of years ago. (car slammed on brakes in front of me).

The "autopsy" of the cake when I got to the venue was determined to be too much raspberry filling.

As some add'l FYI, it was a 4-tier cake, already stacked, with a dowel down the center. The center dowel did NOTHING to prevent the cake from sliding thru the wooden dowel. As has been said by leah and others many times, the center dowel just makes you FEEL better .... but it's no guarantee!

Quote by @%username% on %date%