Who Gets Married On Fridays Anyway?

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm by GenGen

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:53am
post #1 of 20

So today has been an utter disaster. Been working on a grooms cake since yesterday, with exception of color flow lettering to go on all 4 sides of the base.

Get a call today from the groom's mother, whom I have been talking to for 3 months at 6:30 while i'm buying the organic strawberries to dip for TOMORROW'S GROOMS CAKE....she leaves a message and says "Just trying to touch base with you, get an update on the cake, but I guess I'll see it in 10 minutes....I live 30 minutes from the location.

The cake layers were made and filled and shaped but I hadn't made the buttercream to cover either tier or regular and chocolate fondant for the cake....I don't know how I mixed up the days, but for months I have had Saturday the 17th down on everything!

I was so upset, but she was very gracious and told me she would find another cake, she didn't know where, etc., I'm sure she was upset but she didn't act like it....I told her to give me 20 minutes to figure out what I could do!

I raced home and worked like a madman to pull out something. I got a cake there, but wasn't what I planned. Luckily the lettering was color flow and that was done, so I got both tiers iced and covered and the lettering up and I put strawberries, not dipped around.

What a day. I made it, but I am so sad about hoew everyting turned out...I just dropped the cake and sent her a message saying that I got it there and I would talk to her later about rectifying the situation and enjoy the wedding. I do know the cake tastes fabulous, so hopefully that will help....

19 replies
iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #2 of 20

Well, nice recovery...you got it there in time, you know it tasted fabulous, and left a very professional-sounding message. thumbs_up.gif

And THANK GOODNESS it was only the groom's cake and NOT the wedding cake! Phew! icon_surprised.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:04am
post #3 of 20

Crisis averted! Oh.my.gosh. I would have freaked out if I had the date wrong and heard the mom say "I'll see the cake in 10 mins!"

So glad you worked fast and had as much prepared as you did. thumbs_up.gif

By the way, I've heard that it's fairly common in some areas of the country to have Friday weddings because A) the place they want is booked on Sat and B) it's less expensive. But it's harder for working guests to travel, IMO!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:14am
post #4 of 20

What date does it say on your contract? Mine has a space for day and for date so if they screw up the date and say July 17 then they put Friday July 17th then I can catch it and say, nope, that's the 16th, not the 17th. If she wrote the 17th on your contract then its on her, not you. SIGH. What a way to end your day!

Cat

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 20

Way to recover!

I got married on a Friday icon_wink.gif

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:18am
post #6 of 20

Good recovery. I had a strange wedding day... I got married on a Thursday. We both wanted to get married on the 27th because both of our birthdays are on the 27th.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:29am
post #7 of 20

Good save! People get married every day of the week, for a variety of reasons.

I got married on a Monday, which was the 13th...we met on May 13th, he proposed a month later on June 13th, we bought rings a month later on July 13th, and eloped the following month, on August 13th... 3 months total. We celebrate our 26th Anniversary this year!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbordeaux

Good recovery. I had a strange wedding day... I got married on a Thursday. We both wanted to get married on the 27th because both of our birthdays are on the 27th.

My birthday is on the 27th...LOL...

To the op. Sorry this happened. I'm always so paranoid that this will happen that's why I try to have my cakes ready 24 hours before they're due. Just in case icon_rolleyes.gif

Bskinne Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #9 of 20

I'm a little drained and stressed, but impressed with what actually got done in 30 minutes. I was very close to giving up when I got that call but I would have hated to ruin a big day. So of course, I know people get married every day, I just needed to laugh about it somehow. Sigh. I think this might be a sign of a break from decorating for a little bit.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #10 of 20

I think that is every cake decorators nightmare! Good save and it sounds like you were very professional in dealing with the situation!

BTW - I hear Sundays are becoming more popular for weddings...

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:20am
post #11 of 20

It's amazing what you can get accomplished when the clock is ticking. I recently turned a stacked 3 tier (fruit/choc mud/lemon madeira) covered in ganache & fondant with icing flowers (pre-prepared) and ribbon around in 22hours including shopping for ingredients & cooking time (and a wee bit of sleeping). I had (stupidly) filed the persons wedding order a week later in my system and it wasn't till she phoned to check 'all was on track' that my heart stopped and I sprung into action.

The cake looked fantastic and she was none the wiser ... I did cringe though when she said to me 'everything is so perfect ... I keep waiting for something to go wrong!' ...

Bskinne Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #12 of 20

Don't get me wrong, the cake wasn't a masterpiece. It just could have been much, much worse! In 30 minutes I made buttercream, 3 batches of MMF (my first attempt at the chocolate MMF I did went horribly wrong as by this point I am throwing around things like a crazy person), colored all the icings, covered the base and a whole football all while trying to contain my 16 month old son.

I wasn't dressed in clothes that should be seen in public, and even though I threw on a pair of pants, it was covered in powdered sugar by the time I got out of here. I probably had food coloring on my face, lol...
I snuck out before people could ask who the bum was! icon_razz.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #13 of 20

At least your did what you could to salvage the situation. I'm sure that was better than no cake at all!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:41am
post #14 of 20

Nice save on the cake!! I have also heard that a lot of times the groom's cakes are served at the rehearsal dinners, which are usually on a Friday. Maybe this is the case.

Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 20

So I just got off the phone with the groom's mother. She was completely gracious and said that she was more disappointed because the cakes tasted amazing, and she loved my previous work, and she was just sad that it didn't get completed design wise. She also told me that she felt bad even asking for money back because it was simple error and that you could tell the work would have been good if I had another day...I told her I would give her half of her money back, and I didn't feel bad about it because I was such a blond. She told me that she would definitely give me another chance since she knew I had talent and the cakes were that tasty.
Crisis over. icon_redface.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:45pm
post #16 of 20

Sounds like this best outcome you could hope for; she didn't become an irate MOG AND she's going to continue to give you business. The mark of a good business person is how they handle a situation that doesn't go perfectly. I think that this kind of customer often-times becomes a long time "client"!

Again, kudos for the recovery! icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #17 of 20

WOW!!! I wish I had a little emoticon who was bowing in respect for you and your situation and how you saved it! BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOME! Whew. I know you are glad it is over completely now that you have talked to your customer --and now you can sit back and laugh over your "blond" moment (and I'm a blond so I don't take offense at my own reference.) icon_lol.gif It will be a Life Lesson, for sure!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm
post #18 of 20

What a horrible thing to happen, but sounds like you pulled it out! Great save.

And, BTW, I got married on a Thursday: 7/7/77

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #19 of 20

Wow, that was some day. You got it pulled together and that says alot. Good save (by tthe way).

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #20 of 20

nice recovery you worked hard to please!

hubby and i got married on an odd day. i wanted a religious holiday- and a day he wouldn't forget.. we got married on christmas eve since it wasn't possible to be married on christmas day. it also is his grandmother's birthday too icon_smile.gif my first choice that year had been easter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%