The Wedding Cake I Decorated Today (Sigh)...

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 2:27am by step0nmi

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:19am
post #1 of 13

I had a request for a 3 tier cake that is to look like birch bark. I had made a practice cake a month ago with no problems (the weather wasn't 90 degrees and 80% humidity). So... I put the layers together yesterday, let them settle over night. All's good. Go to assemble today, wrap cake boards in plastic wrap (won't do this again). Put the tiers together. All is going well. Go to insert the final dowel through all three tiers. It gets about 1/2 way through the bottom layer and stops. I use my trusty hammer and start to tap. No movement except to the side. The cakes are shifting (argh!). I tap more aggressively. Still no movement. Tap a little harder, the hammer slips and bashes into the top layer. I get that fixed and notice the layers have slid a little bit. By this time I am so frustrated I don't know what to do or how to fix the little boo boos. I took a break and realised that probably no one will notice if I don't point it out. That's my hope anyway. Hopefully delivery goes off with a hitch tomorrow. Only have to travel about 10 miles. Oh, while I was doing this I had my 9 year old daughter bugging me to take her to a friends house because didn't I want the buttercream to crust? Thanks for listening. I feel much better now. icon_cry.gif [/code]

12 replies
montanamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanamommy Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:30am
post #2 of 13

I'm in the process of making a wedding cake and i'm ready to tear my hair out. Never have I had such issues with fondant. I bought Satin Ice this time instead of making my own. Big mistake. Its been tearing cracking and everything in between. i'm about to cry it looks so awful! I'll be taking a good long break from cake making after this one.

icon_cry.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif
Andrea

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #3 of 13

Sheila...I totally feel you on the humidity icon_sad.gif especially living in WI. Have you been taking your cake in and out of the fridge? I notice I get more condensation this way and it messes up the tiers. If you have AC maybe keeping it out will help. you're cake would be fine icon_smile.gif good luck!

sheilabelle Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the support. No, I don't have AC. Right now I have 6 sheetcakes in out 5th wheel with AC on. I don't have room in my kitchen for that many cakes and a family to live. This weekend I had the wedding cake w/ 6 sheet cakes, and a party cake that had a gumpaste firgure on it. The humidity was so bad that the figurine was soaking it up and starting to break. I had wooden skewers every where for support. I'll post a pict. of that cake. I DETEST humidity!

step0nmi Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:27am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

Thanks for the support. No, I don't have AC. Right now I have 6 sheetcakes in out 5th wheel with AC on. I don't have room in my kitchen for that many cakes and a family to live. This weekend I had the wedding cake w/ 6 sheet cakes, and a party cake that had a gumpaste firgure on it. The humidity was so bad that the figurine was soaking it up and starting to break. I had wooden skewers every where for support. I'll post a pict. of that cake. I DETEST humidity!

my next question is...you are working that hard, are you charging enough!!?

sheilabelle Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #6 of 13

here is the pict of cake with figurine. The girls is standing, pitching a softball. Looks good except for all of the support. Any tips or ideas on how I could have made her better please feel free to let me know.

sheilabelle Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #7 of 13
bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #8 of 13

I think it looks good! If I had to use support for the figure then I would prob. opt to not use sticks in the background...just too much wood in my opinion. I think I would try to do the guy in a different position first. and food safe wires for the stars.
All in all, for your conditions wow...your doing great. I cant handle humidity at all.

sheilabelle Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:43am
post #9 of 13

I didn't want to use wire due the humidity. Afraid everything would slip and slide too easily with everything so soft. Wood gave it a little grip. Although I do agree, it looks like a naked forest there. ; )

step0nmi Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

I didn't want to use wire due the humidity. Afraid everything would slip and slide too easily with everything so soft. Wood gave it a little grip. Although I do agree, it looks like a naked forest there. ; )

when you use wire in the humidity you would actually make sure the wire goes all the way to the board and stick it in some...then you wouldn't get the wires moving around in your cake icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure I use that next time. icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #12 of 13

I delivered the cake today and the MOB was happy with it. It traveled fine (yeah!), and is now out of my hands. It didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted, but everyone was happy. icon_smile.gif

Here's a link to the cake -

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1743732&done=1

step0nmi Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:27am
post #13 of 13

omg that's adorable! really nice work! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%