How Do I Make My Buttercreme Stiffer ?

Baking By mariyas_babycakes Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm by mariyas_babycakes

mariyas_babycakes Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:59am
post #1 of 14

I need help perfecting my buttercreme recipe please... I can't complain every time I used it people LOVE it! Unfortunately, it always comes out soft.Though its perfect for fillings or simple frosting of a cake; If I want to make roses I have to almost freeze it in order not to have them melt as i pipe them icon_sad.gif this is hurting my hands now icon_sad.gif I've been told to just add more powdered sugar but I've gone 2 cups over what the recipe calls for without luck. Here is my recipe :
* 2 pound bag of powdered sugar
* 1 cup milk or water
* ½ teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon Vanilla
* 2 sticks butter, cut into ½ inch slices
* 2 ¼ cups shortening (not butter flavor)
Any suggestions?

13 replies
newbaker55 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #2 of 14

Your ratio should be about 2 Cups fat to 2 lbs PS and cut way down on the liquid. Add your liquid by the tablespoons until you get a consistency you can work with.

The butter in buttercream, while delicious, makes it harder for shapes to hold since it melts when it gets warm, so you might want to use a higher ratio of shortening in your total fats.

HTH. I'm pretty new at this myself, so had to learn by trial and error. Don't know what I would have done without all the help from CCers icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #3 of 14

That's a lot more fat than most recipes I've seen. This is what I use http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing The dream whip keeps it from feeling greasy.

It's a crusting buttercream though, and your recipe probably isn't.

VentureSister Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:26am
post #4 of 14

Newbaker55 took the words right out of my mouth.

sweet_teeth Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbaker55

Your ratio should be about 2 Cups fat to 2 lbs PS and cut way down on the liquid. Add your liquid by the tablespoons until you get a consistency you can work with.
)

The 1:1 fat to sugar ratio is just a marker; if you have at least 1:1 it will most likely crust. Many people like it not to crust (and to be a bit less sweet) in which case you use more fat. I personally use a fat to sugar ratio that is similar to the OPs; however, I don't add but a tiny tiny tiny tiny but of liquid. Typically only a tablespoon at most. It is typically plenty stiff; it does not crust, however.

icon_smile.gif HTH.. or at least gives you some more options! Your options are endless w/ buttercream ;o)

indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #6 of 14

My first reaction is "HOLY CRAP!" icon_surprised.gif

A full cup of milk? I use 1/3 to 1/2 cup per 2 lbs of p.sugar.

PLUS over 3 cups of fat? I use 1-1/3 cups of fat. Plus butter has more water in it than shortening, so you're actually adding more liquid.

Reduce the fat .... reduce the liquid. Or add another 2lbs of sugar.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #7 of 14

I'm with Indydebi icon_eek.gif Exactly what she said. No wonder your icing is "soft".

To make roses you don't need "2 cups" of added powdered sugar you need about 2 POUNDS.
thumbs_up.gif

JaeRodriguez Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:17am
post #8 of 14

yeah I did the HOLY CRAP when I saw your liquid too! icon_razz.gif Take everyone elses advice and I'm sure it will be MUCH better for you!

kansaslaura Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #9 of 14

I don't need to add my astonishment, lol--but I do want to ask where you came up with that recipe? Was it given to you, did you find it in a book? Maybe it's really for a filling ...

mariyas_babycakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:34am
post #10 of 14

Thank you all my fellow cakesters! I will be trying out everyones advice tomrw! And I'll let you all know how it came out icon_wink.gif Needless to say I am far far from a professional, but I love to try and keep up with the pros icon_smile.gif) I found this buttercreme recipe online, it had great reviews but I guess I'll just use it as a filling instead. In a perfect world, I my buttercreme will taste just like Sam's club or costco buttercreme tomrw lol wish me Luck icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsbabycakes

Thank you all my fellow cakesters! I will be trying out everyones advice tomrw! And I'll let you all know how it came out icon_wink.gif Needless to say I am far far from a professional, but I love to try and keep up with the pros icon_smile.gif) I found this buttercreme recipe online, it had great reviews but I guess I'll just use it as a filling instead. In a perfect world, I my buttercreme will taste just like Sam's club or costco buttercreme tomrw lol wish me Luck icon_biggrin.gif

If you want a delicious tasting buttercream that will smooth easily and is a dream to work with...try Indydebi's buttercream recipe. You can find it here on cc in the 'most saved' recipes. thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 14

If your recipe works well for you, then by all means use it, in applications that work well for it like icing your cake. You can always modify it for use for other decorations.

tweeter_bug98 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

If your recipe works well for you, then by all means use it, in applications that work well for it like icing your cake. You can always modify it for use for other decorations.

I agree! If everyone loves it, continue to use it for icing your cakes and filling them...but modify it a bit to make the roses and other decorations.

mariyas_babycakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #14 of 14

icon_biggrin.gifThanks a bunch just like you all advised I cut back on fats and liquids and it's perfection and it tastes just as great! For the first time my buttercreme frosting was thick enough to smooth out with a paper towel <3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%