Strawberry Layer Cake

Decorating By LindyLu Updated 1 Sep 2005 , 6:28pm by aunt-judy

LindyLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindyLu Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 5

I am planning on making a torted chocolate cake this weekend. I want to torte both layers and fill them with strawberrys and whip cream. It will be a pretty large cake. Any suggestions for what to ice or decorate the top with. I was considering no icing on the sides because it is so pretty with the layers of cream and strawberrys coming out. Also how many days in advance can I make it ahead of time because of the fresh fruit?

4 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 5

If you are going to leave the sides uncovered, I would just but big swirls of whipped cream and beautiful whole strawberries on top. This cake combination is the most favorite of all of my friends. It is requested for every gathering of this one particular group. lol

LindyLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindyLu Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 5

When you make this do you have to put the whip cream on at the last minute or can you put it on ahead of time. I tried to do a cake with whip cream on it last week and when I left it in my fridge it melted all over the plate. what kind of whip cream do you use?

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 5

Try the Wilton whipped icing mix if available in your area. I wouldn't assemble the cake further in advance than the night before cuz it'll get too wet.

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 5

if you're going to use real whipped cream (whipped from liquid), then you can do it the night before. i would suggest using some powdered cornstarch-based stabilizer, like Dr. Oetker's Whip-It, along with your sweetener and vanilla.
http://www.oetker.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/oetker.woa/wa/page?focus=CA&option=prd_313&destination=page_36

definitely, big rosettes of cream on the top with whole or half strawberries with their stems on, and perhaps drizzled with chocolate and white chocolate/dusting with icing sugar (just before serving, as icing sugar tends to dissolve into whatever it's on) or chocolate shavings, or perhaps also some kind of wafer-cookie in each rosette (or if it's a really big cake, alternate the rosettes with strawberries and cookies).

note: you will have an easier time cutting the cake if you chop, rather than slice, the berries that will go in the filling. just fyi. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%