Is This For Real? I Don't Think So

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm by kansaslaura

sweetneice Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 19

Hey Guys! I got a call at my bakery the other day and it was from a hearing impaired service who was relaying messages to me. This lady wanted to order a 5 tier cake but wanted to email me the details. She wanted each tier packaged seperately.When I got the email, it didn't make much sense to me. The lady said she wanted a cake for 300 or larger, fondant or buttercream with the words HAPPY MARRIED LIFE on the side with pink roses. The phrase itself seemed odd to me.

The language used sounded like someone who didn't speak good english by the way it was written. The roses could be silk, buttercream, or fondant. Then I kept reading and the lady lives in CANADA! She wanted to pay $980 for delivery, pay me an extra $100, and have a privater carrier come and pick it up. I think this may be a hoax because I thought I remembered reading something similar on here a long time ago. Any thoughts on this? I just took it as a hoax. Am I wrong?

18 replies
anasazi17 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 19

Total hoax! There have been several threads on CC about it. I am glad it gets posted so we are all aware of the scammers out there!

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 19

HOAX. Been going around for years.

sweetneice Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 19

Thank you so much! I thought so! Should I Respond or just leave it alone?

Occther Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:11am
post #5 of 19

Definitely ignore it. If you respond, they will just pass your email address on to other scammers.

sweetneice Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #6 of 19

Thanks guys! I will ignore it completely.

KayMc Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:24am
post #7 of 19

Alright, I don't get it. What is in this for the scammer?

lilerintron Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:06am
post #8 of 19

They get a free cake, and you end up paying your bank back for the bounced fees.

DeezTreatz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:38am
post #9 of 19

Wow! lol I can't believe how far some people will go!

KimLynnC Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:58am
post #10 of 19

My mother breeds Shih Tsu puppies and she has gotten similar e-mails like this except they were about buying dogs not cakes. Total scam.

JaeRodriguez Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:14am
post #11 of 19

Kay- they ask you to take their check to the bank, deposit it and keep some for your self as payment and send them the cash, so you send them the money and then the check bounces and you have to pay for it.

crumbcake Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #12 of 19

We had the same thing in our restaurant, placed a large $$$$ take out order and will have some one pick it up, the credit cards we asked for (they tried 3-4 different ones) were all stolen!!. They had the nerve to call us on 2 different days to play the same trick.

DeezTreatz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #13 of 19

Just craziness! lol
My mom was almost scammed when trying to buy a puppy off of kijiji.
He/she was going to ship it from another country... it was a scam. Very sad!
I have another friend that was scammed for a house rental online.. when they went to pick up the keys (after the e-mail money transfer was sent) no one came to meet for the key exchange. Had pictures, an address and everything in the ad.

kansaslaura Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #14 of 19

I got this call and another for chicken sandwiches..!! LOL Same scam, different menu.

Tug Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:52am
post #15 of 19

Spam her email

JaeRodriguez Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #16 of 19

Kansaslaura that is too funny! I need chicken sandwich to feed 340 people and I shall be send someone to pick up.

TandTHarrell Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:02am
post #17 of 19

I will say, if she was deaf she speaks different then how we speak. I am going to school to become a Sign Interpreter. A lot of deaf people have a 3rd grade reading level. Happy Married Life is the correct way for ASL!!!!!!!

EX:
We would say,

"I like your black belt."

They would say

"Belt black nice."

KayMc Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:39am
post #18 of 19

TandTharrell, that was my first thought as well, as the sign language is different from spoken language.

I think back in the 1800's when horse thieves were hung, was a great thing. Kept some folks from NOT stealing horses. These scammer know they'll get away with it. I saw we hang them so they stop w/ the identify theft and destroying people's lives, and running up people's credit cards..... Why don't they get a real job like the rest of us? icon_mad.gif

kansaslaura Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

TandTharrell, that was my first thought as well, as the sign language is different from spoken language.

I think back in the 1800's when horse thieves were hung, was a great thing. Kept some folks from NOT stealing horses. These scammer know they'll get away with it. I saw we hang them so they stop w/ the identify theft and destroying people's lives, and running up people's credit cards..... Why don't they get a real job like the rest of us? icon_mad.gif

It's pretty obvious that sending people to prison isn't a deterrent, or we wouldn't have to keep building and building them- and crowd them to overcapacity once they're finished!! Something has to give!! It's as though we live amongst psyschopaths who have no fear of consequences or conscience for what they do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%