Help Help Help Top Layer Of Cake Cracked In Half

Decorating By CraveBakery Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 1:20pm by pmarks0

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 7

can I still use it???? I still managed to put it on top of my other layer. Should I flip it over? Or should I cover it up with buttercream and fondant??? OMG this is a 18x12 and I don't want to have to cook another one??

What do I do???

6 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #2 of 7

Don't u worry! I've broken piece off of my cake before.. I just ice them back together! I think since its broken in half... I would turn it over.. and put the other layer that is not cracked on top. This way you'll have a smooth finish on the top, and it's all cake in the end... However, if this is a wedding cake, or someone is paying for it.. I might make a new layer! icon_biggrin.gif hehe

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #3 of 7

i would put the cracked one on top. if you put the cracked one on bottom, the weight from the top layer might be heavy enough to weight it down and start to "push" on the crack...if that makes sense. ice the crack and stick in the freezer for 15 min. or so and let it harden together. then pull out and ice from there.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #4 of 7

If you don't have time for another one, just use your icing to "glue" it back together. Maybe its backwards, but if I have a broken/cracked layer, I usually put it on the bottom.

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 7

Gosh! Thanks!! You guys are life savors!!! I was worried to put it on the bottom because it's a large cake. I iced the cake, and filled in the crack. When i was done icing, I could barely find the crack myself. So I felt a lot better. Now that I have the fondant on (a whole other chapter) it looks great! Thanks again!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

If you don't have time for another one, just use your icing to "glue" it back together. Maybe its backwards, but if I have a broken/cracked layer, I usually put it on the bottom.

I have put broken pieces on the bottom also, especially if it is only in half, it will be fine. Just make sure all the layers are leveled.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 7

I was recently working on an 11x15 and had a similar problem...I spoke to my cake instructor and she said "next time, cut the cake in half". It will make it easier to handle, especially if I don't have another pair of hands around (DH helped me that time) and no one will even notice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%