Brand New Here

Decorating By Laura84b9 Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 4:54am by JulieMN

Laura84b9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura84b9 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, My name is Laura.
I am new here, I want to learn how to decorate cakes. I just think it looks like fun, and every time I see a cool looking cake I always think "I wish I could do that" well, I have decided to try! If yall have any tips for someone that is just starting out, let em rip! icon_biggrin.gif

I don't really know how to use this forum format yet...

7 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 8

Welcome to CC - there is so much info on here you will be on here months and still learning something new! icon_biggrin.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 8

don't forget to look for cake events and classes in your area. attending classes, "day of sharing" events and competition events (you don't have to compete) are great ways to see and learn.

Laura84b9 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 8

Welcome Laura!

First, I would suggest taking the basic Wilton cake classes at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Second, buy the best instructional dvd's (and affordable) to learn from. Great because you can replay them over and over. Even follow along on a project. I recommend Sharon Zambito's dvd's at: www.SugarEdProductions.com

Third, enjoy the journey and have fun!

icon_smile.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 8

You are SO GOING TO BE ADDICTED to this site!!! And you will learn so much. Enjoy!

Laura84b9 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:01am
post #7 of 8

I am still trying to get used to the format of this site.. I am used to my other addiction, babycenter.com..

I have already found some great recipes that I can't wait to try out! icon_smile.gif

I decided to just sort of wing it. Yikes. I am going to make a cake tonight, frost it in the morning( I made marshmellow fondant already and will make buttercream in the morning)

I am basically doing this to see if I like it/if I am any good at it, then I will probably take a class or two and try to get better and start making cakes for family occasions!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:54am
post #8 of 8

Welcome! You have found a great site with wonderful people and excellent information.

The warning sign off to the left side of your screen is very, very accurate.....but in the addiction to the site is lots of learning.

I second the advice that you have been given already....in addition, there are lots of great books (some available at the library if you aren't quite sure), and lots of tutorials around the web including on youtube.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%