"back To Basics" Dvd - Ques

Decorating By PDXSweetTreats Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 4:59am by sugarshack

PDXSweetTreats Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 6

Just got my DVD yesterday -- I highly recommend it for those wanting to get the perfect foundation for their cakes!

SZ: My copy arrived just after I'd PM'd you, so it answered most of my questions. However, after viewing the DVD in its entirety, I still have a few questions and thought I'd post them here, so if others had the same or similar questions there'd be a central location that everyone can reference.

The questions I have regarding the recipes demonstrated on the DVD have to do w/ingredients. (Sorry if they're silly, and while I recognize we all have to do our own "trial and error," I really hate to toss stuff out unnecessarily, so I'd like to start out on the right track.)

1. The RS and scratch recipe: Do you suggest bleached or non-bleached AP flour? Or, does it make a difference?

2. Was the scratch cake baked in a 9" round? If we wanted to use a larger pan size, is it okay to double this recipe, or 1-1/2x it? Or, is it one of those recipes that needs to be made multiple times in order to achieve the necessary amount of batter? (I hope that makes sense.)

3. On the scratch recipe, if flavorings were to be added, do you suggest 1 tsp. per the recipe provided?

4. For the RS and the recipes in the accompanying booklet, is it okay to use a fat-free sour cream, or do you suggest the full fat variety?

5. Finally, was that Baker's Joy that you were using (or can you say)?

Thanks, and there were SO many good tips in this DVD -- I found it very useful!

PDX

P.S. Best wishes on your sales and Happy 25th Anniversary!

5 replies
sugarshack Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 6

Thank you PDX I am so glad u like it!

1) I am not sure that it would make any difference, as long as it is AP.

2) yes that was a 9 inch. you can double the recipe if your mixer can fit it. My artisan only fits one recipe

3) yes, i would start there and then flavor to taste

4) no, fat free will not work ( I know from experience, LOL.) must be full fat

5) that was Pam for baking but bakers joy works just the same

Thanks again!

PDXSweetTreats Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 6

Sharon, thanks SO much for your help!

Every cake I made this week came out like @*&^, and I couldn't figure out what was going on. But last night I was making some cookies, so I thought I'd check the temperature with an oven thermometer like you mention in the DVD, and sure enough it was off. Since it is a Wolf less than five years old, that was a real surprise to me! And now this morning, it's not working on a couple of settings, so had to call service repair. icon_sad.gif

Like I said, there are a LOT of good tips in your DVD, and I truly appreciate the help! And, I'm looking forward to trying those recipes once I get my oven fixed!

Take care, PDX

KayMc Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 6

I'd like to put a plug in here for Sharon's instructional DVD's. They are wonderful and informative, and MUCH cheaper than taking a class. Thanks, Sharon!

PDXSweetTreats Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 6

I'll absolutely second that, KayMc! It was the first piece of advice that I got here on CC when I joined -- from Helen at The Magic Cupboard (what a sweetheart!). One of the best things is being able to replay them again and again (especially if you don't do a whole lot of cakes, like me) -- and it's like having your own personal instructor right there in your kitchen, walking you through all the steps. Definitely worth the investment, and like you said MUCH cheaper than taking classes.

sugarshack Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:59am
post #6 of 6

Thank you guys!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%