How Do You Attach These Letters?!

Decorating By mazdamoose Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 2:23am by MrsNancyB1

mazdamoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazdamoose Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 10

I am curious as to what you all do to get letters like this to stay on a cake?! I have done a couple like this, and they have broken or fallen off each time! I can't figure out what I am doing wrong or how I should do it different! Any help would be so appreciated! I hope Simply_Scumptious does not mind me using her cake as an example!
LL

9 replies
cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 10

After you mold the letter, while the fondant/gumpaste is still pliable, take a small wooden bbq skewer or toothpick (depending on the size of the letter) and insert it to the bottom of the letter and then let it dry. The skewer will stick into the cake and hold it in place

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis

After you mold the letter, while the fondant/gumpaste is still pliable, take a small wooden bbq skewer or toothpick (depending on the size of the letter) and insert it to the bottom of the letter and then let it dry. The skewer will stick into the cake and hold it in place

Ditto

Lomikesa

AuntieV2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieV2010 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 10

I like the flat picks with a rounded end.

mazdamoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazdamoose Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 10

Okay.. that's what I did the other day. I did a number 2, and put toothpicks in the bottom and stuck it into the cake. The number broke apart at the bottome where I had stuck the toothpick, so didn't know if there was a better way!

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdamoose

Okay.. that's what I did the other day. I did a number 2, and put toothpicks in the bottom and stuck it into the cake. The number broke apart at the bottome where I had stuck the toothpick, so didn't know if there was a better way!

It sounds like you're using either straight fondant (it'll need either gum paste, gum tex or tylose powder added) or your pieces are not dry enough to withstand their own weight when stood upright... this was my problem the first couple of times, anyway. What are you modeling from?

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:57am
post #7 of 10

I made a tall "1" a few weeks ago and I used the bbq skewer, I pushed it in a good ways so there would be support. I did this when it was still wet, laid it flat for 2 days.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 10

You could try molding your letters or numbers around wire that's already been shaped the way you want it, but you'd probably be just as well off using gumpaste (or fondant that you've added tylose/CMC to). If that's still not hardening enough, add the CMC plus about a tsp of meringue powder dissolved in a tsp of water to every half pound/250 grs of fondant. That dries really hard. Definitely put skewers/toothpicks in the bottom of the letters to stick into the cake, but do it while the gumpaste is still soft, because otherwise the paste is guaranteed to crack or break.

lilerintron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilerintron Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 10

If the cake is due Saturday, make the letters on Monday. While they are soft stick some toothpicks in them, if the letters are big/thick, I like to add 2 for support.

Let them sit out to dry this way the are not top heavy and split when you add them to the cake.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:23am
post #10 of 10

I would stick toothpicks into the bottom of the letters/numbers AND use a glob of melted chocolate on the bottom to really secure things. Melted chocolate dries rock hard, and is VERY sturdy!

Of course, until the chocolate dries (a couple of minutes) you will need to hold it in place carefully. GL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%