I Feel Down

Decorating By BlessP Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 9:19pm by poohsmomma

BlessP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlessP Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

I started cake decorating last December and I took the classes in Michael's. I finished the classes last April and I've been making cakes for friends and family but mostly fondant. I am trying to practice my piping skills. I really suck at it and it annoys me and I feel down. I feel like, I am not gonna be able to perfect this like other cake decorators do. Another thing is it's very hot right now and it's making my icing soft. Maybe I'm just tired and exhausted and trying to get my piping skills perfect right away just makes me feel down, maybe I should stop doing this.

What is the best way to practice piping?

I want to go work part-time at a bakery like maybe just for a few hours in the weekend but I'm not sure if they need somebody just for the weekend. I can't work full time and weekdays because I have an 11 month baby. So I practice my cake decorating stuff when she is asleep and when I'm done cleaning the house and doing laundry. Hayyyy, I need a red bull!

Please share your tips on how to improve on piping and how long did it take you to perfect the piping skills. Thank you so much.

5 replies
michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 6

Hey, don't worry! You will get better! icon_smile.gif And we CC'ers are here to support you!! It really does take a lot of practice. I've only been doing this consistently for 3 years. My piping still isn't the best, but I continue practicing.

Some people buy the practice boards/mats from the cake decorating aisles in places like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.. But, personally, I've never bought one. I simply lay out a piece of wax paper and pipe away.
Other times, I even use a paper plate or piece of plastic wrap.

Don't give up!! You CAN do this!! icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

If you ever have questions, you can always pm me!! thumbs_up.gif

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 6

Welcome to the "I can't pipe to save my life" club!!! I'm soooo with you!! I prefer to focus on the things I'm good at. If I have to pipe I will but I do warn people that I'm not as good at that as I would like to be.
I too need to practice practice practice but I'm not sure where I could find that type of time needed icon_wink.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 6

Many years ago when I first started to teach my self to decorate I used the back side of cake pans to practice my piping with - it works well because you can practice borders, writing, string work, side swags etc and then all you have to do it wipe off what you piped and have a clean surface to do it again!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessP

Another thing is it's very hot right now and it's making my icing soft.
What is the best way to practice piping?

I want to go work part-time at a bakery

Soft icing is the best way to practice piping/writing.

If you do get a chance to work in a bakery, you won't regret the experience that you'll gain from it!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 6

Here is a link to the cakegenie's video on how to pipe 10 different borders with a #17 tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%