Family Of Cake Muggles

Lounge By sweettooth88 Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 1:30pm by JaeRodriguez

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 8

Im sure I am not the only one whose family is full of cake muggles, and it seems that they all came out of the wood work this week!!!

My SIL called me 10 min ago asking if i could make my neices cake....for tomorrow morning!!! HMMM let me think....NO i work til 8 tonight and that is just not gonna happen.

My Mom called asking me to "whip up whatever you have" for a dessert for a group of her friends that are coming over Sunday.

Do people not think ahead? Or know it takes time to do things like this? I am just puzzled that they dont take into consideration that I have other cakes this weekend and have worked and gone to school full time this week!

Does anyone else have family like this?
Thanks for letting me vent!!!

7 replies
Sugar-Coated Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar-Coated Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, I do, but they're considerate in the fact that when they call with a last-minute request it's always accompanied by "If you're too busy, I understand, and please don't hesitate to say no if you don't have time." And if it was their request, they always pay me, too, even if I just ask for them to cover the cost of the ingredients. Usually I'm the one offering to do cakes for my family's special occcasions though; and in that case, it's my gift. Understanding the time involved wasn't always like that though; I think that the more they're around your work and see how much time/effort goes into it, they realize that hardly anything is as simple as it seems. Hang in there! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 8

I also have a great family who never does that. They actually bend over backwards to be considerate and always offer to pay and they offer up front. ("How much would you charge for ....?")

But the best response to "Can you make a cake for me for tomorrow?" is just a simple, "No."

Not ....
"No I can't" or
"No I don't have time" or
"No because I'm booked".

Just flat and simple "no."

Inconsiderate people don't deserve explanation.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:09am
post #4 of 8

I used to... but when i kept telling them "NO" to last minute request and telling them "I need two weeks notice" it eventually got through. Doesn't matter who it is, the only people that I will take less than that is our nephews and neice, but I usually bake their cake a couple weeks before their birthday and then i'm just waiting to find out the final date of the party.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #5 of 8

I have a family that understands the time and effort that goes into cakes. And they understand that if they want a cake from me, they need to give me at least 3 weeks notice.

However they seem to think they can say "I need a cake" three weeks before and then wait until 3-4 days before the tell me what exactly they want. I don't know how many times I had to call my SIL for the last cake I did. Finally I had Hubby (her twin brother) call her and say, "Hey, get it together, my wife NEEDS to know this!"

Shermie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shermie1 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #6 of 8

I got an e-mail from a friend inviting me to a baby shower. In the e-mail she said she would have to get with me about the goodies. In the same e-mail she ended it with thanks for offering to help!! Hello, I don't remeber saying that !!!!!

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 8

Alright I just had to giggle at this one. I was at dinner last night with the fam and my stepsister asked "do you make cakes with teeheirs?" I stared blankly at her until i realized she meant teirs. The whole table cracked up at her and it took me all i had not to laugh in her face. It was great!!!

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 8

My cousin called me this week and asked me to make a 3D avatar airbender figure for a sheet cake for a girl we used to work with. Oh she needs it by tomorrow.

HA I laughed and then felt bad and told her to ask the grocery store to do an edible image. She said she was just going to put action figures on the cake.

uhhh good call, lady.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%