Ohhhh No. I Only Doubled Some Of The Ingredients! :o

Decorating By JaeRodriguez Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 13

I'm making cupcakes for my sister in law's baby shower and I was doubling the Sylvia Weinstock Classic Yellow Cake.
Ingredient List:
2 1/4 cup cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2lb butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream

I ONLY doubled the flour, butter, and sour cream! :[ I would ask if they are ruined as they are in the oven right now but I pretty much know the answer. Now I have to go to the store and buy more ingredients. UGH

12 replies
Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 13

Ugh! How frustrating! I'm sorry that happened to you. It has happened to me too. When doubling a recipe, I used to just double it in my head as I was baking, but now I actually write it on the recipe so I don't forget to double an ingredient.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 13

I have so done this before.... I feel your pain. So now I just write out the doubled or tripled recipe on a post-it and put it on the fridge and don't depend on having to remember to do it in my head.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 13

I think every one has been there before, I am there right now with a 2nd attemt at a dbl batch of choc. MFF.

I also write it dwn on recipe as crabbabs said.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 13

Oh I feel your pain! I did it myself last weekend with a cake filling.

What I have done with my cookie recipes is this ... I've typed them all up and the ingredients I've put in a chart with 1/2, single, double and triple amounts. Hasn't failed me yet! Though I have collected more recipes and need to do this to. Never seems to end!

Good luck on the redo!

JaeRodriguez Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 13

Oh you guys I feel like I should smack myself in the forehead, why didn't I think of that! Now I am back from the store and going to WRITE out the doubled recipe and then attempt it! :]

sheesh! icon_razz.gif Thanks for making me not feel as dumb, I hated having to call my hubby and tell him I had to spend MORE money on them!

JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 13

Just to update (read: VENT)

I went to the store and got all new ingredients and remade the cupcakes. Did fine but it took me so long I figured I'd just make the BC tomorrow (day of shower).

I got up and made the BC but I was using Dixie Crystals which I have never used before and it was SO GRAINY! My hubby said it tasted like sand. BUT he still wanted me to use it on the cupcakes. (He's frustrated that I've already spent about 80 dollars in cupcake supplies and I don't sell so we're out the money.) He says no way are you going to the store to buy new stuff to make the BC too. I start crying and I was like scr*w it, I'll just order a dang cake from Publix and be done with it.

Well, I call and they "can't *bake* one for me that fast." Started crying again, tell hubby (we're fighting) I'm going to the store does he want to come (he's taken off work to help me btw) and he says no. So I get in the car to go to Publix, it's making a weird noise. Get out of my car at Publix and my back tired is COMPLETELY flat! :'[

I call DH and he's not answering, I think about calling AAA but they would take too long as I have to be at the church in about an hour and forty five mins. I called EVERYONE, no one was in town! My mother in law said they'd come get me but they live 45 minutes away and she's got to be at the church early too to help set up. I say no and call hubby 2 more times and they I decide to walk home.

In SC in the middle of the day, UGH, I had to reshower and get ready (crying the whole time) lol and then I just got my MIL to pick up a cake from Publix and I paid her back. SHEESH!

Now I have almost 100 cupcakes in the freezer IDK what to do with them! icon_razz.gif lol

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 13

Oh my. I am so sorry to hear you had such a rough day! We all have those days when absolutely nothing seems to go right- what is that? Murphy's Law? Anyway- smash those cupcakes and make some delish cake balls......smashing will make you feel better and everybody loves a cake ball!

JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 13

Haha ramie that's exactly what I was thinking!

osikodede Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osikodede Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 13

Poor darling!! Sending you lots of hugs and kisses... xoxoxoxox

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 13

just a thought....
you may be able to use the cupcakes and make into cake balls. Possibly??

Trying to think how you can turn this into something good.

hugs hon!

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 13

Okay, I know you're upset right now but I think this going to become a great family story that you will be laughing about for years to come. I can see it now...the baby is now an adult, the family is gathered for some type of event and someone says...Hey, remember the time when your Aunt Jae tried to make cupcakes for your baby shower? Then everyone starts to laugh as the story is being told again.

JaeRodriguez Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you guys! I actually have a party to go to this weekend and I offered to bring something so *ding ding* she's getting the cupcakes! :] Hallelujah I don't have to try and bake anything after that catastrophe! I need time to heal! Hehe!

Btw- My hubby got to the shower to help set up and he saw the cake his mom made and he said in front of everyone "where are your cupcakes!"

I just looked at him and said "I figured she didn't want vanilla muffins!" Lol I had already told my SIL the whole story so she laughed.

BTW- Do you guys ever have that happen with your PS?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%