Wilton 101 Piece Tool Caddy Collection

Decorating By babapeela Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm by babapeela

babapeela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babapeela Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone bought/ seen this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120585599373&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2541wt_754

I've been making cakes for a while for friends and family and am just starting out on a small business project. I don't have much in the way of proper decorating tools, just a few odd bits that I've collected along the way and my mum's 30 yr old wooden rolling pin!

Do you think this collection would be a good starting point? I've found it on Ebay for around £85 and my mum's offered to buy it for my birthday next week.

I have heard a few comments around CC about the quality of a couple of the Wilton products, are they really not worth having if I want a good result?[url][/url]

5 replies
newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 6

If you are just starting as a hobby baker, Wilton quality is fine. I am new to cake decorating and still use alot of Wilton product, but have started "supplementing" with higher ends products. I did not buy the kit because I preferred to see what I would actually use before making a bigger investment and I think there will be items in the kit that you will either never or almost never use.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 6

I've always suggested the Tool Caddy to my new students. It has many things I use on almost every cake. You can buy it at craft stores in the US for around $150-160. I always suggest they use a coupon putting in it the $90ish range.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 6

I don't have the actual kit. My mom introduced me to cake decorating quite a while back and she started me out with Wilton Products. So far, I have not strayed from the Wilton products. I have most of what is in this kit. I found the same exact kit on Wilton's site for $144.99 (US Dollars) so I'm not sure about the price however, I like the Wilton products. They have worked fine for me.

I noticed your link on ebay says that the item is new, unused and unopened. That's even better!! I say go for it!!! Good luck!!!!!!!! icon_razz.gificon_smile.gif

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 6

My husband bought the kit for me a few years ago. I didn't have many supplies at the time and it was a great starting place. There will probably be a few things you don't use (I've never used the piping bags that come with it because I prefer disposable) but there is a lot in there that is helpful to have, especially in the beginning.

If you're not sure if you want it, look at the list of what's included in it and see if it's something you'd use. If there are quite a few things on the list that you don't think you'll need then just buy the things you think you'll use often enough to make it worthwhile.

babapeela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babapeela Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 6

ok, bought it! Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions on it, can't wait to get my parcel now!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%