Thought: A Cake Vs. Cake Tiers Vs. Stacked Cake

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 4:12pm by DeeDelightful

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 7

Not sure why this came to me, but I just found it interesting the way we refer to cakes.

For example, if we make a 6" round, we call it a cake. If we stack that on an 8" round, we call the whole thing a cake. But if we were to serve a 6" and 8" round together, unstacked, we call them cakes.

I'm certain it's mostly because, in the end, we're referring to the entire assembly as a whole, rather than the individual parts. And in the latter example, they're not assembled therefore they are each individual.

Might be my English major hard at work, or my propensity for random thoughts. icon_wink.gif

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 7

A couple of years ago, I posted an idea that to get the idea across of exactly how much work it was, we should refer to the total number of cakes.

For example, I might say "I have a wedding cake this weekend." While most cake civilians KNOW that a wedding cake is multiple cakes, in their little civilian mind, they are thinking "A" cake. What I SHOULD be saying is "I have to bake 10 cakes this weekend for a 5-tier wedding".

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 7

Is it equivalent to "I got A haircut"? (Just one hair got cut, or all of them?)

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A couple of years ago, I posted an idea that to get the idea across of exactly how much work it was, we should refer to the total number of cakes.

For example, I might say "I have a wedding cake this weekend." While most cake civilians KNOW that a wedding cake is multiple cakes, in their little civilian mind, they are thinking "A" cake. What I SHOULD be saying is "I have to bake 10 cakes this weekend for a 5-tier wedding".

Exactly! Another thing is the structure for odd cakes. When I talk about my birthday cake this year, it's not just 6 cakes I've baked (three tiers), but the entire structure I'm building for it too.

A cake is a cake, but a multi-tiered cake is just so much more, and even more than that is a cake with a structure that requires a trip to Home Depot. icon_lol.gif

There's just no getting the point across until after it's done.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Is it equivalent to "I got A haircut"? (Just one hair got cut, or all of them?)

My response to my (severely balding) hubby when he says "I have to get a haircut" is "Really? WHich one?" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 7

My niece happened to be in the bakery last week when I was getting ready to bake the layers for a four tier wedding cake.... 8 pans all over the counter and she said "HOW BIG OF A CAKE ARE YOU MAKING????" I educated her on the fact that it takes 2 layers to make one cake. She sat there wide eyed. People just don't realize the work involved at all.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle74

My niece happened to be in the bakery last week when I was getting ready to bake the layers for a four tier wedding cake.... 8 pans all over the counter and she said "HOW BIG OF A CAKE ARE YOU MAKING????" I educated her on the fact that it takes 2 layers to make one cake. She sat there wide eyed. People just don't realize the work involved at all.

No, i'm convinced they think you bake a wedding cake in 3 really deep pans! To them everything is "one pan, one box mix"...LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%