Football Cake

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm by Bskinne

Bskinne Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm working on a football cake. Very simple (or so I thought) but now I realize to serve the amount of people needed I need to make a whole football rather than a half. So I tried last night. I'm using a Wilton Soccer ball pan and shaving the cake down into a football shape....already losing money on this cake so I don't want to buy a specialty pan). Unfortunately, I sold this cake 3 months ago when I was just starting, and failed to realize how miserably my delicious, moist chocolate cake would hold up to shaving. So my first attempt last night crumbled into a million pieces.
I have one half that kinda stayed together enought where I can cover it in fondant. I'm going to make another half (as I wave goodbye to more $$$), but need some ideas on making the football. When I turn the bottom half up the right way, it falls apart. Should I cover the bottom upside down first, then try to turn it over and connect somehow?
Anyone who's done a whole football, please help!!! Have to finish this cake by tomorrow morning!

3 replies
jobueno Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 4

I made a football cake (in my photos) and this is what I did. I baked one full seet cake pan 1 "tall. Cut the cake in half before taking it out of the pan. Let cool and and settle. For the assembly I stacked one half of the sheet cake on top of the other with filling in the middle. I roughly traced the oval shape of the football with icing and the proceeded to carve. The corner pieces that you cut off will be added to the top of the ball to give it more roundness but you still have to shape it. then just make sure your bottom edge is comming in nicely so it looks like the complete ball. Crumb coat and fondnat and decorate! I hope these instructions are of use to you. If it is too confusing you can pm me. good luck with your football.

Bskinne Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, jobueno, I took a look at your cake, that's awesome! I was thinking to try it that way... I don't have a sheet pan (OK, I'm new...), and the top rounded half is still intact, so I think I'm going to try do a couple of rounds to set it on and then carve it in so it looks like the whole ball. Thanks for your help!

Bskinne Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 4

So the second try turned out better. I also put it in the freezer for a little bit prior to carving, which really helped. I kept one half ball that I cut into an oval and put it on top of one oval cake I baked, and then froze it again, and carved it down. I'll be covering it this evening, so pics up soon! Hope it looks half as good as yours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%