Air Bubbles In Buttercream

Decorating By Angie1968 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm by CWR41

Angie1968 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 6

After finishing my cakes, I let them set overnight before moving or delivering. Lately, after loading the cake and delivering it, I have noticed that sometimes a bubble pops out on the side of the cake. I use a crusting buttercream icing and it has happened both on tiered cakes and sheet cakes. It sure does make an ugly spot on the cake when I try to flatten it back down. Any ideas on why this is happening and what I can do to keep it from happening or fix it when it happens? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 6

Do you let your cakes settle after you fill them? How stiff is your buttercream dam - If not stiff enough, it will cause bulges/bubbles on the sides. If you don't let them settle, anything extra between the layers will squeeze out. If you let them settle, it will give them a chance for anything excess in the filling to squeeze out so you can smooth it before your final coat of BC. If you don't have time to let them settle, I let mine sit with a pyrex dish on top for a couple of hours. Others use a ceramic floor tile dedicated for that use.

Angie1968 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do let them "settle". I stacked this cake on Wednesday night and did as you asked. I left it stacked with weight on the top all night. I iced it last night and it was fine this morning until I put it in the car and drove 10 minutes away and when I got there, it had a bubble popped out in the front of the cake of all places!!!! It has happened on sheet cakes as well.....

Cindy619 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 6

Even though you let them settle, the vibrations of your vehicle are probably causing it to bubble out. Are you using a medium/stiff icing to create your dam before putting in the filling? Before I like to frost my cakes, I usually push down pretty hard on the top and wiggle them a bit to make sure the filling has distributed evenly and all air has escaped.

nonilm Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 6

Was the sun shining on your cake through the window? I am convinced these occur with temperature changes.

CWR41 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 6

Probably from icing your cake while it was too cold. (still frozen or refrigerated.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%