Decorating By AfordRN Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 7:07pm by Chasey

AfordRN Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bride who has finally gotten me a picture of a cake she likes, wedding is next weekend! icon_mad.gif Anyway she calls this a "wedgewood" design. Anyone have any suggestion on what the flower draping is? I see the 2nd tier is brush embroidery right? I can't really tell what the 3rd tier is. I've never done brush embroidery, so if anyone has tips that would be great! All I have in house is some CK royal dry mix....

6 replies
drakegore Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 7

that cake is from martha stewart's "wedding cakes", page 126.
the draping flowers are gumpaste roses and a smaller 5 pointed petal flower. there is something else in there that i think is supposted to be either a leaf or clusters of's very hard to see because it is in the background of the flowers and used like "filler".

2nd tier is brush embroidery.

she doesn't elaborate on the third tier, but it looks piped to me. looks like two side leaves and a center leaf with dot flowers inbetween.

Cindy619 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 7

Wow, that was really nice of her to give you a whole week to figure it out! JK!

In any case, brush embroidery is actually a pretty simple technique to learn - I'm not sure why we don't use it more often! Here's a link to instructions for it on Wilton's website ( I'm sure you could probably find a video on youtube as well. You could always make yourself a little template for the outline if you want them all to look the same. I'd probably start with piping a heavy outline for one side of the leaf first, then brush in towards the center. Repeat with the other side of the leaf, then finish it by piping the center vein. Grab a piece of wax paper and test it out a few times first!

Good luck! Can't wait to see the pics!

ninatat Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 7

i like doing embroidery, i found a brush's at the dollar store that were to hard to paint with so i took the tip of the brush and cut into it different lengths, works good. there is a turorial on u-tube also on cakes we bake hope this helps, i've only done my brush embroidery in bc

luddroth Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 7

Practice the brush embroidery on some pieces of rolled fondant. It's not too hard. Trace a pattern on some parchment. Then use a straight pin to pin-prick the outside lines of the design onto the fondant. I use meringue powder royal icing (1/4 c meringue powder, 1/2 cup cold water, 1 lb confec sugar sifted, 1/2 tsp lemon juice -- add m powder to cold water and beat to soft peak, add confect sugar gradually beating in between, add lemon juice, beat until stiff peak stage). Pipe one short section along the outside edge of the design, and quickly, before the icing sets, use a small paint brush dipped in egg white to pull the icing in toward the center, leaving a ridge at the outside line, but pulling the icing in until it's transparent. Keep working around the edges. Go back in with the royal to add veins, dots, whatever. Good luck.

AfordRN Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much everyone. She was suppose to be here a half hour ago to discuss this....... still waiting. It's day's like this I don't want to do weddings anymore. icon_biggrin.gif

Chasey Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 7

Here is another Wedgewood inspiration cake from a Wilton forum member. Maybe you could contact him for questions if need be. His is phenomenal!

Quote by @%username% on %date%