Another Way To Make Snowflakes Besides Royal???

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm by pbeckwith

grossoutqueen Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:10am
post #1 of 9

I have had it icon_mad.gif

I have piped at least 15 different snowflakes using royal icing. I've tried a small tip, Ive tried a larger tip, I used wax paper over my drawings and sprayed it with Crisco wiping off the extra... I tried different spatulas to try and get them off. Nothing worked. They all broke. I've been trying different things for days now.

I don't want to pipe directly on the cake as I want the snowflake to stand alone. Is there another way to make a snowflake? Gumpaste? Fondant? I have no idea. Thanks guys...

8 replies
tesso Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:27am
post #2 of 9

umm.. are you using regular royal icing? or did you thin it down and make it a flo icing? I really like using flo icing. use RI to outline the design, then flo icing to fill it. Let it sit and dry for a minimum of 12 hours. 24 if you can. and then use a very thin spatula, to lift then off the wax paper. if they are dry, they wont stick. you can see an example of flo work in my pics, it is the pink/black cake with all the flo icing stars.

oh also.. yes you can make them out of gumpaste and fondant. cookie cutter make it easier.

bmoser24 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:47am
post #3 of 9

Here is a link about using gumpaste....looks interesting. I havn't tried it yet, but I want to. Hope you have the stuff.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-676017.html

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:10am
post #4 of 9

You can use scrapbook punches to cut out snowflakes. Roll your gumpaste or fondant as thin as you can and let it dry for a little while (longer for fondant than gumpaste). Then just punch it out like paper. They make a variety of sizes and designs of snowflake paper punches.

sweettreat101 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:07am
post #5 of 9

Sugar veil. I can't wait to try it.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 9

What about candy melts? I made snow flakes with them for cupcake toppers. They were much more sturdier than RI. You do the same thing, but do not spray the wax paper. They will harden and be ready to be used in about 20 mins in fridge.
LL

grossoutqueen Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

umm.. are you using regular royal icing? or did you thin it down and make it a flo icing? I really like using flo icing. use RI to outline the design, then flo icing to fill it. Let it sit and dry for a minimum of 12 hours. 24 if you can. and then use a very thin spatula, to lift then off the wax paper. if they are dry, they wont stick. you can see an example of flo work in my pics, it is the pink/black cake with all the flo icing stars.

oh also.. yes you can make them out of gumpaste and fondant. cookie cutter make it easier.

I just used the regular Royal Icing recipe. I followed directions I got off of a video I googled and the lady said Royal so that is what I made. Does thinning it down make it more sturdy? It isn't something I could outline and fill in because of the design of it.

leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 9

I never use royal for snowflakes. I either use fondant and a chocolate mold, chocolate and a chocolate mold or the cricut. It's one of the few things I can cut with that big expensive paperweight. But then, I'm using the edible paper, so it's easier.

pbeckwith Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 9

I pipe my royal accents on plastic wrap and have never had anything stick. I use what I need right off the plastic wrap, then kind of fold it up to store the rest in an air tight container. Right now I've got plenty of extras; violets, leaves, hearts, ladybugs, baby chicks, and some roses.
The only thing I use waxed paper for is candy melt accents.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%