Help!!! Strawberries In Teirs????????

Decorating By pattib09 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm by cakegroove

pattib09 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:25am
post #1 of 7

Hey all!!

My most popular flavor that I offer to my customers is a french vanilla cake with cream cheese frosting and fresh strawberries. It looks amazing on cupcakes! But when I do it for a cake the tiers slide when the strawberries start to let out there juices. How do I prevent this. When stacking them I do one layer of cake then add my icing then my strawberries then add my second cake. I then place it in the fridge and then dirty ice it and fondant it. Is there a different way to do this???

PLEASE HELP! I have a cake that I am baking right now that has strawberries that goes out saturday and I really dont want them to slide at all!!!

Thanks guys!

6 replies
MayWest Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:45am
post #2 of 7

I use fresh strawberries as filling all the time. You need to do an icing dam. This prevents the cakes from sliding and keeps the strawberries from leaking. Hope this helps!

sweettreat101 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:11am
post #3 of 7

Don't fill the cake until the day before the event. Strawberries will turn mushy quickly. Try to get strawberries that aren't over ripe. Slice them and let them drain on paper towels. Lay a paper towel on top of the sliced strawberries and gently press down. Try to remove as much juice as possible. I did this for my brothers wedding and my cousins bridal shower they loved it and I had no problems with the strawberries weeping. My aunt did say that after a couple of days the strawberries got mushy so they decided to go with just a vanilla mousse for the wedding cake. Last make a thick dam and don't stick the berries to close to the side of the cake and you will be fine.

pattib09 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Don't fill the cake until the day before the event. Strawberries will turn mushy quickly. Try to get strawberries that aren't over ripe. Slice them and let them drain on paper towels. Lay a paper towel on top of the sliced strawberries and gently press down. Try to remove as much juice as possible. I did this for my brothers wedding and my cousins bridal shower they loved it and I had no problems with the strawberries weeping. My aunt did say that after a couple of days the strawberries got mushy so they decided to go with just a vanilla mousse for the wedding cake. Last make a thick dam and don't stick the berries to close to the side of the cake and you will be fine.

What do you mean make a dam?

sweettreat101 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 7

Using your piping bag with the coupler not tip make a ring around your cake. I make mine two rings high. Make sure you use a stiff consistency frosting. This will keep your filling in the middle where it is supposed to be.

sweettreat101 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 7

Forgot to add. Once you add your filling inside the circle add your top layer of cake and gently press down. Wrap you cakes to keep them moist and let them settle for at least a couple of hours. Some people like to place something on top (light weight of course) to help the cake settle faster. This will help you keep from getting the bulging line in your frosting where the cake and the filling meets. Once the cake has settled remove any frosting bulging from the side and frost your cake. Just make sure not to place the strawberries to close the the frosting dam. I use a layer of vanilla mousse and a layer of fresh strawberries.

cakegroove Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 7

Dont tort your layers too thinly either or else the whole cake will turn to mush. Been there, done that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%