Camp Fire Cake

Decorating By Jamesmama Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 4:24am by hollyml

Jamesmama Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 3

Ok, I'm new here and just start making cake as well. I need to make a cake that will feed 18-20 for a girl 13th birthday. She like a lot of things, but one caugh my attention, they will be having a fire that night and roast marshmallows and hot dogs. So what could I do to make it into the cake? which size? any ideas?? I have tiny little marshmallows that I want to put on a stick, make a fire pit with rocks around and maybe use tiny little pretzel sticks for the fire wood, make grass around and put some trees in the background somewhere. Should I do a sheet cake? or a 3D? Any ideas would be appreciate! thanks in advance for all your help! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
BethEK Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #2 of 3

I made a camping cake and it had a camp fire on it. I got an electric tea light candle from the dollar stores and covered it with oreo crumb to look like ash and then surrounded it with little pretzel sticks. It was a big hit and looked great with the little flickering "flame"

hollyml Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:24am
post #3 of 3

I did a camp fire once that came out great, but it was just a small decoration to accompany a tent-shaped cake -- not the cake itself. I used Twix-type cookies for the wood, and roughly coated some red hot candies with grey frosting for coals -- that came out looking perfect. The flames were made from red, orange and yellow hard candies, melted on a cookie sheet and then broken into jagged shapes.

You could easily do the same thing as part of a sheet cake with grass and trees and whatever.

Or you might do a round cake, decorate the sides to look like a ring of rocks and put your "logs" and larger-scale candy flames in the top. Then make fondant/gumpaste "sticks" that can rest against the "rocks" on the edge, with the marshmallows stuck on the ends. Maybe make that the top tier of a two-tier cake in order to get the 20 servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%