Michele Foster's Fondant

Baking By d925marie Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 4:04am by d925marie

d925marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d925marie Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 9

Ok Guys, I NEED HELP!!!

Maybe I'm just not cut out to make my own fondant icon_sad.gif I've seen all the wonderful reviews of MFF, but mine isn't turning out right.

Right now, it's a big sticky mess. I added all the powdered sugar, and I still can't keep it from sticking to everything it touches. I've been adding more, but I don't want to add too much and make it dry.

Any suggestions?

8 replies
jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #2 of 9

It is a big sticky mess....but as you knead it, it will come together....as it does just grease some plastic wrap and wrap it bag and put it in the fridge it will be fine in the morning. I use a bag in the mixer when mixing it and then when I knead it I will add most of the 2nd bag but alot of that 2nd one is left on the counter.
Don't give up...it is truley fabulous fondant....I use it most of the time!
Laura
A Sweet Success

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:20am
post #3 of 9

wow what a great idea about putting a bag into the mizer!!

Do you grease the bag???

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:27am
post #4 of 9

I meant the bag of powdered sugar... Better not put a bag in your mixer!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #5 of 9

I make about 10 batches of this fondant every week (at least). I put a two pound bag of SIFTED powdered sugar in my mixer and add the strained gelatin/syrup mixture. After it's mixed long enough for the powdered sugar to be completely mixed in I start adding more (sifted) powdered sugar about a cup at a time. I add almost another 2 pound bag as it's kneading in the mixer. Total, I use about 3 3/4 pounds of powdered sugar per batch. When I can stick a finger in the fondant and my finger leaves an indention but none of the fondant sticks to my finger...it's ready to turn out onto a greased work surface. .

I grease my work surface with at least 1/4 cup of Crisco and I grease my (gloved) hands as well.....I knead the fondant for a couple of minutes , and sometimes I even use more Crisco during this process. I then wrap it in plastic wrap that has been greased really well with Crisco. I double wrap in the plastic wrap then put it in a ziplock baggie. I NEVER put this fondant in the fridge. You should allow it to rest for at least 6 hours before using. It keeps very well at room temperature.....there is no danger of spoilage and no need to refrigerate. (If I were going to have it laying around for two or three weeks I may refrigerate or freeze)

When you go to roll out the fondant to use USE cornstarch. This fondant loves cornstarch.....and the more the better thumbs_up.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:31am
post #6 of 9

oops, DUH.... im tired tonight lol

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 9

Depending on the humidity level in your house, you may have to add a little more powdered sugar until it comes together. Once it does it feels nice and soft like a bread dough. Also, make sure that you are using Crisco or some other veg shortening and greasing your hands like crazy. I think this kind of helps it too. After it comes together grease it down really well, wrap in plastic or put in a plastic ziplock and let it rest.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 9

You really don't need to put this in the fridge - if you do, you will have to let it warm up before you use it!

d925marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d925marie Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:04am
post #9 of 9

I left the fondant alone last night, after i wrapped it in plastic really well. This morning, it was kinda dry. I'd also tried another recipe for fondant yesterday too. But I stopped adding powdered sugar sooner, and wrapped it, sticky and all. This one turned out great. So maybe for me, I need to just stop adding powdered sugar, even if it is still a little sticky, and overnight it will (magically) turn into what i need it to be icon_smile.gif

I will try MFF again, and wrap it up sooner than I think it should be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%