Help! Attaching Dried Gumpaste/fondant Decor To Buttercream

Decorating By Suzisweet Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 9:37pm by Suzisweet

Suzisweet Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:23am
post #1 of 15

Hi all,
I am making a rather large tiered buttercream covered cake for a friends party. It is extra girly so I made many, many dried gumpaste flowers and various decorations for it. Many will be applied to the sides of the cake. It then has to travel an hour (with my DH driving...BEWARE!!) I need to know what is the most absolute way to secure to buttercream. I have secured with buttercream and royal before but most have been on top of the cake and traveled short distance. I am a nervous wreck that things will be dropping off the whole way there and I will spend the afternoon fixing the cake upon arrival. Any info on how you have done this succesfully would be appreciated. Just so you have and idea there is a big loopy bow (not so worried as that will sit on top) and flowers are about 2" daisies with a center and ribbon roses in varying sizes along with leaves of varying sizes.
Thanks for your help in advance!

14 replies
cakesbyleila Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:29am
post #2 of 15

This is probably not what you want to hear. I would put on the extras on site. Bumps on the road will more than likely knock off some of your hard work not only running the risk of breaking some of your gumpaste decor but messing up your buttercream as well. Good luck and I can't wait to see the final results

Jeep_girl816 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #3 of 15

I would attach with candy melts or melted chocolate, they both are a bit stronger than just royal or buttercream. You didn't say what kind of buttercream you'd be using but if it actually has butter in it I would let it set up in the fridge, overnight if possible. A cold cake travels better than a warm one, and your driving time should give it just enough time to get to a good eating temp, even with the a/c on by the time you get to your party, good luck!

Suzisweet Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #4 of 15

[quote="Jeep_girl816"]I would attach with candy melts or melted chocolate, they both are a bit stronger than just royal or buttercream.

Yes, the buttercream does have butter (1/2 butter 1/2 shortening) but this cake will be about 14" tall and I don't have that kind of room in my fridge once it is stacked.
As for the candy melts...I have done that with a bow before but it was on top and again only went right down the road. If I am attaching things to the sides with the candy melts, it will actually stick to the buttercream?? It won't melt it and it will actually bond? I hope so, I guess I could always decorate it on site but I was really hoping to enjoy my visit with friends instead of being the "cake decorating lady"!
Thanks for the quick responses!! I of course will post pics when the cake is complete.
Suzi

Suzisweet Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:45am
post #5 of 15

Ladies,
Thank you for your helpful responses...my cake made it in one piece and Jess was thrilled with it. I ended up just attaching everything with buttercream the night before. I figured by the morning if I gave the cake a little wiggle I would get my answer as for what I could expect if things started falling off. Nothing did so I proceeded to box it. I held it on my lap the whole way with no problems! YAY! here is the pic.
Suzi
LL

DeezTreatz Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:51am
post #6 of 15

Love the cake!!! Glad it made it there in one piece!
How did you do the spirals??

Aeropanda Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:16am
post #7 of 15

This cake is beautiful! Glad it worked out for you!

Suzisweet Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:17am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezdelights

How did you do the spirals??

They are fondant with tylose (sometimes I use gumpaste if that is what I have on hand) extruded through a clay gun to make a string (there are thicker and thinner discs to use) and then the "string" is wrapped around a dowel and left to dry. My husband made me a stand that has different size PVC pipes...1" ,1/2" 3/4" etc so that I can make many at a time and some are wound smaller (tighter spring) as per the size pipe its wrapped around.
Hope that makes sense.
Suzi

DarleneP Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:42am
post #9 of 15

May I ask what you used in your cricut machine that cut so well. I am getting one and I am a bit intimidated to use it after reading some of the posts...

Suzisweet Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneP

May I ask what you used in your machine that cut so well. I am getting one and I am a bit intimidated to use it after reading some of the posts...

Darlene,
I used Fondex with tylose for pink
I used Satin Ice with tylose for black
I have used the recipe for gumpaste from "Cutting Edge" and that works pretty good too. I also just bought the icing sheets from Cricut but have yet to use them.
I do not put it in the freezer as some have recommended; I had tried that a couple of times and that seemed to cause alot of sticking.
I have tried different dry times before cutting but really did not see much of a difference though I am still experimenting myself but I do love it.
I thonk one of the biggest helpers is that I roll mine out on a pasta roller. I was lucky enough to inherit an electric one from my aunt and I roll out to a 7 or 7.5 (some machines are reversed in the numbers so it may be like a 3 if reversed) Mine goes to 10 and 10 is the thinest setting.
I just saw a beautiful owl cake in the favorites of the day done using the Cricut...you should check it out.
Suzi

DeezTreatz Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #11 of 15

Wow! It makes sense - but sounds so hard! But I think requires a lot of skill.. which your most certainly have! Love your cakes!

Suzisweet Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezdelights

Wow! It makes sense - but sounds so hard! But I think requires a lot of skill.. which your most certainly have! Love your cakes!

NO, NO, NO, they are easy! icon_biggrin.gif They are one of the easiest and super cute things that I make.
Once they dry a little and hold their shape you can take them off of the dowel and actually shape them more by pulling the spring open or bending them. I am forever addicted to them!!

DeezTreatz Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:42am
post #13 of 15

I will have to find a clay gun and try it out! They are super cute!!!

DarleneP Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:16am
post #14 of 15

Suzi, this is very helpful-just ordered some tylose. I hope to be successful-I know my way around the paper cricut expression and there was a learning curve there too....
I thank you for taking the time to help me.

May I ask how wide your pasta roller is? I see that I can attach one to my kithenaid -I think it is about 6 inches.... I know there can't be one big enough for the cricut mat so I am thinking you put pieces on the mat?

I am going right now to check on the owl cake!

-Darlene

Suzisweet Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:37pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneP

May I ask how wide your pasta roller is?

Darlene,
My pasta roller is 10" wide. I love it but now...OH how I wish it was just over 12" just for the Cricut mat! Most of the time I have an idea as to how much I will need to cut. That is another really cool thing about "make the cut" program as you can see the mat on the screen so where ever you put your design on the "screen mat" you know that is where you need to put your fondant/gumpaste on the real mat and it will only cut your design in its position. Again, I will say that the program was worth every red cent!
Suzi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%