Frozeen Or Not

Decorating By mommynana Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 12:31pm by mommynana

mommynana Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:10am
post #1 of 5

im making a thomas the train cake this weekend the cake is in the freezer now i will be taking it out on sat. to carve it,being it has to be frozen when i carve it, can i ice ane crumb coat the cake while its frozen, after i crumb coat the cake i`ll have to decorate it with the different color buttercream, dose the cake have to be at room temp before i decorate it. thank you

4 replies
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:13am
post #2 of 5

I find that it's a little easier to carve a partially frozen cake. However I never crumbcoat or ice a frozen, partially frozen or even COLD cake. It's best to crumbcoat, ice and decorate a cake that is room temperature. I know that some say they don't have any issues with icing a frozen cake but I do. I use a crusting buttercream and I have a hard time getting it to crust if I ice a frozen or partially frozen cake.

You can also have issues like condensation causing colors to run etc. if you ice a cake while it's frozen. I don't know what your climate is like or if humidity is an issue for you, but rather than risk having issues with your cake it would be best not to take the risk and to ice and decorate it at room temperature.

mommynana Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #3 of 5

thanks mamaworbin for the repley, sorry it took so long to get back to u but a lot has been going on,here is a pic of the cake its my first buttecream cake, i no i need a lot of practice but i dont think it came out to bad

BeckyRVT Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:01am
post #4 of 5

I love the look of excitement on his face! Great job on the cake.

mommynana Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 5

thanks beckyhellam icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%