Will My Cake Dry Out If I Frost Two Days In Advance?

Decorating By KH222 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 2:55am by KH222

KH222 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 8

I froze my cakes, and took them out to thaw this morning, and was planning to crumb coat tonight, ice and smooth tomorrow, and add the fondant accents on Saturday morning......but I just realized that the party isn't until 5pm, and now I'm worried about it drying out. I should mention that I work until 6pm, so my time on this is limited.

They are still wrapped and sitting on the counter completely thawed. Should I stick to the original plan, or fill, crumb coat, and ice tomorrow?

Thanks!

BTW, LOVE it here icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
deMuralist Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 8

I would stick to the original plan. The frosting should hole the moisture in.

cakes47 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 8

Go ahead ~ ice it and don't worry.

cakes47 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 8

OOOOOOOOPS!!! Wanted to say WELCOME!!!! icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 8

Once you unwrap them, I'd get them covered with icing as soon as you can. They won't dry out after they're iced.

Q-Squared Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:14am
post #6 of 8

They shouldn't dry out, but I will say one thing from experience: be conscious of your temperature/humidity within the house. I had iced a cake a few days in advance once and had the temp in the house around 76 or so (it was humid too) and the icing started to separate on the cake. It was colored -- and the coloring started to come out and spot. I always turn the air conditioner on now when I do this, and I've never had a problem since then.

Just a heads up! =)

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:19am
post #7 of 8

Welcome to cc first of all.

No your cakes will not dry out if you ice them 2 days ahead of time. For a Saturday cake I usually fill on Wednesday and wrap in plastic wrap. On Thursday I crumbcoat and ice, Friday cover with fondant (if I'm covering with fondant) and decorate.

KH222 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:55am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif I filled them earlier and covered them again in plastic wrap, but since everyone seems to agree it will be okay, I think I'll go on and crumb coat them before bed. I planned it this way so that I wouldn't run out of time, but then started second guessing myself. Ah, cake stress icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%