Bake Sale V Home Business

Decorating By newbaker55 Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm by newbaker55

newbaker55 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know how churches and civic organizations manage to get 'legal' to have bake sales? With all the regulations required for home bakers (can't do it in my state), I was just curious to see what the requirements are for 'event'- type sales.

In my area, (Arkansas near the Texas border) it's not uncommon to go to Wal Mart and see tables of goodies set up for sale on the sidewalk...everything from BBQ to the Marines selling breakfast foods.

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 4

In TX you can have bake sales for charity. The state code is written to specifically allow home food prep for those bake sales. It might be that way in Arkansas too...it's probably all online and you can look it up. The catch to it here is that the bake sale has to benefit a non-profit organization, like a church...I couldn't, for example, have an ongoing bake sale to raise money for my kids' school clothes or something like that icon_biggrin.gif

cattycornercakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 4

I know in Delaware there is a form that you have to fill out and file with the division of public health. The form is "APPLICATION FOR EXEMPTION TO OFFER BAKED GOODS FOR SALE." You have to fill in the name of the church or charitable organization, location of the sale, dates and what you are selling.

newbaker55 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, Texas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%