How Big Of A Risk Is This?

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm by Polkadot79

Polkadot79 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 20

We're having a yard sale this Saturday. I'm thinking of making some cupcakes to sell at it. I don't have a home bakery license. Have any of you tried this?

19 replies
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 20

If I were you...I would just do it, if that's what you plan to do.... and not ask on Cake Central because you're gonna get alot of answers you don't wanna hear....

thumbs_up.gif

Jeep_girl816 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

If I were you...I would just do it, if that's what you plan to do.... and not ask on Cake Central because you're gonna get alot of answers you don't wanna hear....

thumbs_up.gif

lol! The thought alone of selling illegally baked goods is enough to send the cake police on here after you with their pitch forks and torches blazing icon_lol.gif

Polkadot79 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 20

Yeah, I've saw that attack before and I understand their view point. It's not legal (and yes, you hear the but).

Anyone brave enough to speak out and say they have did it??

katibeth88 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 20

NOT THAT I'VE DONE IT.... but is it also illegal to sell lemonade? as in... kid's selling lemonade like the "good ole days" ?

Polkadot79 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 20

You would think it is.

I was thinking of it as more of a bake sale like groups do...what's the difference? It's for my profit versus a non-profit. The only difference.

Kitagrl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 20

I love getting Coke on sale for like $2.50/case and then making a big cooler full of ice cold drinks at a yard sale, to sell....goes great in the summer!

Bakingangel Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:

I love getting Coke on sale for like $2.50/case and then making a big cooler full of ice cold drinks at a yard sale, to sell....goes great in the summer!

I'll take one! icon_smile.gif

malene541 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 20

You won't have an issue UNLESS you happen to get someone that stops by and works for the local health dept, you get someone that stops by and has a bakery business and decides to turn you in, you get someone that stops by that decides they want to see how much liability insurance your homeowners policy contains (says they got sick and try to sue you), etc.....
There are reasons that it's illegal to do this sort of thing BUT if your aware of them and you think the benifit out weighs the risk then go for it!!
I saw a lady down my street selling snow cones (she lives across from a big city park) get busted. I know she got fined but not sure how much. She was also in a high population area too. ???

deMuralist Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 20

you might be able to get away with it if you give them away with a purchase of something else?

Since you are for personal profit as opposed to sending the band to camp, people and authorities may not be as forgiving.

Personally I wouldn't risk it, but I am working toward getting my kitchen certified and I don't want to do anything to mess that up.

Polkadot79 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 20

Good points. I'm not sure if I'm going to try it or not, but...really want to just to get my name out there beyond my normal circle. I'm seriously considering my own cake shop/cafe (currently a teacher), but can't seem to just take that jump and go for it.

CWR41 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:14pm
post #12 of 20

My neighbor used to sell Krispy Kreme doughnuts at her garage sale, and it went over big time!

BakedAlaska Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 20

I put a binder full of my cake photos on the "checkout table" at a recent yard sale... Folks looked through it and some took a little business card or flyer I'd printed up...

Just a thought!

Of course, we do generally buy cookies and lemonade from little kids at yard sales, too!

Polkadot79 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 20

Good idea about the binder. I could print out some pics and do that in some frames, etc. ... give away a cupcake with a $5 purchase. I think that might be what I do! Thanks!

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:32pm
post #15 of 20

I think it might depend on how strict they are about garage sales in your area. Where my mom lives, you have to buy a garage sale permit (think it's about $20) and display it during the sale. You can only have the sale during certain hours and for two days, once every six months. They go around ticketing people who don't have the permit, so it would be easy for them to ticket people selling baked goods too.

Kitagrl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm
post #16 of 20

I would think if you were purposely doing it to increase an unlicensed business that might not be so good...

But wow, we always liked selling cookies or whatever at yard sales...I honestly don't think its technically illegal...same as a lemonade stand or whatever else...its when its a business that its bad.

I mean for real...just like yard sales...its legal to do that but to actually open your own flea market or something, I think you have to have some sort of license.

Kitagrl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:34pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I think it might depend on how strict they are about garage sales in your area. Where my mom lives, you have to buy a garage sale permit (think it's about $20) and display it during the sale. You can only have the sale during certain hours and for two days, once every six months. They go around ticketing people who don't have the permit, so it would be easy for them to ticket people selling baked goods too.

Seriously? What a horrible rule. haha.

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:37pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Seriously? What a horrible rule. haha.

No kidding. When we were kids, my Mom would have a garage sale and she would make each of us pay for a third of the permit and her newspaper ad out of whatever we made...sometimes we'd each end up with five dollars after two days of garage sale.

I live right outside city limits now and I can have a garage sale whenever I want...or I could if it weren't so darn hot! icon_biggrin.gif

Tiffany0481 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:37pm
post #19 of 20

Every year our development has a community yard sale and people sell food all the time. My neighbor just sells chicken dinners and my other neighbors kids always do a bake sale. I agree it depends how strict your area is with yard sales, but I personally don't see any issue with it. I'd even make some rice krispie treats, maybe some cookies and offer drinks ... icon_biggrin.gif People always like a nice treat when getting bargains!!! Good luck!

Polkadot79 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm
post #20 of 20

You do have to have a permit and can only buy 2 a year, but fee is only $1. wow on the $20!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%