Marshmallow Fondant Questions

Decorating By valbos22 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 1:35am by valbos22

valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 5

I made two batches, let them rest overnight in the fridge. Colored one batch green. Let it rest. Roll it out to 19 inches to put on cake. Roll up onto large rolling pin to drape over cake and it starts to tear/ crack along the top of the cake. I try stretching and smoothing the wrinkles out down the side and I end up with too much at the last point I am smoothing down the side. I have tried twice and am about to throw in the towel and go with a crusting buttercream and Viva papertowel but I have done that the last 2 years and I want this to be the year it works! icon_mad.gif
It seems to be drying out because it takes so long to roll out a 19 inch circle...
Why is it cracking?
What am I doing wrong in smoothing the sides??
Is the fondant too thick, it is about 1/4 inch thick?

4 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 5

Whenever you add coloring to MMF it dries it out...so you will need to knead in a bunch of crisco to help the problem. Now if it's a very dark green that you had to put a LOT of green dye into it's just going to be dry...not much to help it. Knead in the crisco and then try it again..it's its soft and pliable it shouldn't take but a minute to roll it out to 19inches and put on the cake. At that point you really have to smooth very very gently and when you see a crack appear smooth it with some crisco. Dark colors are just very hard to do because you have to use so much dye and it dries it out just so much.

Hope this helps!

Cat

valbos22 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Cat! I had no idea that color dried it out! So should I add Crisco until it is the consistency of Silly Putty?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:10am
post #4 of 5

Not quite that close but yeah, add the crisco till really pliable. Just remember that cracking=dry=more crisco and sticky=wet=more powdered sugar...either way it can be a real pain!

valbos22 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:35am
post #5 of 5

Thank you, off to try again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%